Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ntldr missing - Toshiba laptop  (Read 4306 times)

luckylee16

ntldr missing - Toshiba laptop
« on: March 09, 2007, 07:42:38 PM »
Hi All, I am just a newbie at chatting on forums, but I hope someone out there can helpme. I have a Toshiba Portege Laptop that I can't boot-up and am having trouble getting into the bios to fix the NTLDR problem.  I have searched this site to find out how I can override this error and get into the BIOS but all the shortcuts that were offered are not working - is there anyone else with a suggestion, thank you :-?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: ntldr missing - Toshiba laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 07:47:43 PM »
Topic moved, not sure if this should be in "Others" or MS Windows... so I will stick it in MS Windows since the error is often caused by a problem in Windows....
When your computer says NTLDR is missing, it tends to be due to a blank hard drive, or an HDD that is not bootable.

Reinstall Windows

luckylee16

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:56:03 PM »
Thank you for replying. I do know that I have plenty of hard drive space I have a partitioned hard drive. But I need some other guidance as to how to get into my BIOS, thanks.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 08:16:34 PM »
Getting into the BIOS is not a solution to this problem. What happened prior to this? How about some details?

luckylee16

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 08:23:16 PM »
While searching for help, and trying to find out why and what the NTLDR is, the answer was that I need to get into the BIOS so that I can look at what has been changed in the BIOS / configuration settings. As when I first booted up I was able to get into the BIOS and I think that I accidently clicked on something and it changed the settings and silly me said yes to accept the changes...argh!! So now I need to get back into and peruse the settings to see what was changed.  I hope you can help thanks. :D

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 08:30:36 PM »
Just take out the CMOS battery for a minute and it will reset to default values.

catinthehat

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 06:33:55 PM »
I just repaired my sony laptop last night for the same reason. I was fortuante to have the recovery and application disks. the ntldr is part of three files you need to start up the computer. I hope you have your operating disk. its very simple just put it in and follow the on screen commands. My sony is old and had three system recovry and three application recovery disks. it took about forty minutes to restore my computer. the down fall is that you will lose everything you added to your computer other than what was originally on it when you first got it. I am told there are other ways to get around it, but i waited for nine months to find an exact answer and had no luck. I finally just told myself ,its just pictures and what ever programs i lost i will have to replace in time. ...or you can bring it to a best buy or computer place. best buy gave me a quote of between 250 and 300 dollars to fix. your decision. all i know is that after nine months the things on my computer that i was so worried about losing don't seem so important any more and now I have a brand new fresh computer to start all over again. good luck. from headacheone.