Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP new hardware found popup  (Read 3152 times)

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Some have no knowledge, others thank God, have.
    XP new hardware found popup
    « on: March 10, 2007, 02:27:45 PM »
    Hi everyone. Am new to the forum and need help. When I switch Computer on, small pop-up appears in bottom left corner. It says new hardware found and that I should install Driver Table Manager. I cancel that, then it comes back in a bigger box and says  searching for drivers, suggests I connect to net. I do, then it says hardware not installed because wizard could not find the necessary software. You have the option to back and  click if you have disk. Obviously I haven't so I just end up cancelling again. I should mention that before I cancel we tick the box to say don't come back!!!!. Unfortunately it ignores me. (and it's driving me bl**dy mad).

Have been to device manager to check for yellow exclamation marks (denoting a problem) and there aren't any. There has been no new hardware added for at least six months, and what was added was installed with no problems and is running well.  I have now run out of ideas and it's time for you experts to show off. Your help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XP new hardware found popup
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 03:10:56 PM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

That sounds like a bit of malware.  see here..

Seems it's time for maintenance AdAware, SpyBot, CWShredder and full AV scan.

Good luck
    « Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 03:11:28 PM by Dusty »
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 05:25:48 AM »
      To Dusty,
                    Thank you for your help. I will investigate. I would say however that I am running Adaware for Spyware and AVG for virus control and not had any warnings from them.

Thanks again,

Graham.  

ZealEmpire

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 09:02:36 AM »
      Go to start>run> then type msconfig then choose startup tab and check to see if there are any strange items located in the startup that you don't recognize.  To check to see what some of these programs might be go to http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/  This site will give you a detailed message of pretty much everything that could be located in a typical startup.  It will also tell you what to remove and what not to.  This method helped me solve a friends problem where his computer would hang for a long period of time before it turned off.  Good Luck

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 01:58:36 PM »
        Hi people, I am back still with the same problem!! Have run every spyware program with no success. Some one said to go into My Comp/manage/services and set InstallDriver Table Manager to manual. Done it, Guess what ? Still the same. Every time it comes up it asks for permission to search the net for drivers, I say ok and INSTANTLY it says "cant find anything therefore cant install". It has obviously made no attempt to look as it was far too quick. The rest of my head is now beginning to match the bald area at the back. :-   :'(  Any other thoughts people?
        Thanks a lot. Graham.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 07:03:54 PM »
        Have you deleted the  C:\windows\TEMP\ folder :-?

Have you run a search for WPABLAN.EXE :-?

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 07:27:48 AM »
          Hi People,
                         Have deleted the Temp files and searched for WPABLAN with no success. I do appreciate all the help you people are offering. It's nice to have experts to go to in times of trouble.

Cheers,

Graham.

ZealEmpire

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 08:01:21 AM »
          Hi People,
                         Have deleted the Temp files and searched for WPABLAN with no success. I do appreciate all the help you people are offering. It's nice to have experts to go to in times of trouble.

Cheers,

Graham.

The process Windows WPA Balloon Reminder belongs to the software Microsoft® Windows® Operating System by Microsoft Corporation (www.microsoft.com).

Description: wpabaln.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 32256 bytes (75% of all occurrence), 31232 bytes, 31744 bytes.
          There is an icon for this program on the taskbar next to the clock. wpabaln.exe is a Windows core system file. The program has a visible window. File wpabaln.exe is a Microsoft signed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 1% dangerous.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as wpabaln.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the wpabaln.exe process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

You said you searched for it I dont know if you meant search for the defination on what it was or actually where it was but both answers lie in what I found for you.   :)

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 10:39:38 AM »
            Thank you School Bus, I will search again when I get home tomorrow. Lets see what this brings.

Cheers,

Graham.

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 10:31:05 AM »
              Hello people, I have looked for that file, found it and a friend who's clued came round and we checked it together. There appears to be no problems with it. Now for the stupid bit!!!!! I am no longer getting the popup. I have absolutely no idea where it has gone but my comp seems to be running alright and working as it should. Whether that will continue we shall see.  My view now is "if it aint broke, don't mend it" so for the time being I am going to leave it alone.

Once again thank you all for your help.

Graham. :)