Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Permission problems to access network resources  (Read 4312 times)

nnf2540

Permission problems to access network resources
« on: March 15, 2007, 01:57:19 AM »
Hi buddy, I am experiencing a network access permission problem. Please help me!!!
I have two computers. One is Dell desktop, and the other one is Toshiba laptop. Both are working with windows XP, and both are connected with a 4-port D-Link ADSL router to get the access to the Internet. Each computer has a local printer installed- Dell with a laser color Epson printer, and Toshiba with a Canon bubble jet. I have run "setup home and small office network wizard" to configure the local network setup, for example, to enable file and printing sharing, and so on. At last, both computer can see each other in the Network Neighbour. However, the Toshiba can not access the resources on the Dell including the printer, but the Dell can visit all the resources on Toshiba happily. When Toshiba access Dell, an error message prompted up saying there is no permission to access the network resources.

I have tried to install the IPX/SPX NetBIOS protocol, and do the sharing, etc., but the permission problem still cannot be fixed. Are there any things I have omitted? If you have this experience or some ideas, can you share with me how to fix it. I would be much appreciated.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Permission problems to access network resource
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 02:19:26 AM »
I have tried to install the IPX/SPX ... protocol
Remove it immediately (unless you know for certain that you're in a Novell networking environment!), read the networking FAQ (link below) and then check back for further instructions.  We will probably need to make some changes to your firewall settings.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

nnf2540

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 03:37:35 AM »
Thanks, Rob. I have checked the link you provided to me, but I still cannot find a topic related to my access permision problem. Can you just give me a direct link straitforward?
As for the firewall, I do not have a specific firewall application installed, so I just use the firewall function embedded in XP. I have also tried to configure the firewall settings, but it seemed still not working. In your opinion, what should be noticed when setting the firewall. Thanks a lot!!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 04:07:08 AM »
The FAQ was background reading.  As for the XP firewall, you need to allow TCP traffic on the ports I specified above.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    « Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 08:34:52 AM »
    In addition to Rob's excellent advice, you might try disabling the XP firewall on both machines to see if the firewall is indeed the problem.  If all goes well, then turn the firewalls back on one at a time to see which may be causing the problem.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      Re: Permission problems to access network resources
      « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 06:57:09 AM »
      You also may check if you use a common user account on both computers. If not (and I suspect that those 2 computers are not part of a Windows domain), than you have to give rights to user "guest" (wrong idea; but you can do it) or to create a common user with which you will work on both computers (or work on one computer and give the needed rights on the other computer). That account should have exactly the same name and the same password on both computers.
      Can you see the shares from the 2 computers using network? I mean, if you have compA and compB, can you see the shared folders from compA when you are working on compB?