Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: adding wireless router to normal router  (Read 5364 times)

pommer

adding wireless router to normal router
« on: March 16, 2007, 10:04:05 AM »
I have a home network using a normal router,,I have recently purchased a laptop and want to use it wireless(it has such capabilities)..is it possible for me to attach a wireless router to my present router AS I DO NOT WISH TO ALTER MY PRESENT SETUP - it works fine.thanks for any help....
cheers

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: adding wireless router to normal router
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 04:34:07 PM »
Yes, you can do it.  The level of difficulty depends on the abilities of the wireless router.  Actually all you really need is a basic wireless access point ("WAP").  That would be simplest to configure, I think.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

johnwill

Re: adding wireless router to normal router
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 05:00:46 PM »
Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router.  For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router.  If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable.  Leave the WAN port unconnected!