Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ram Upgrade Eligibility for WXP  (Read 3071 times)

Jp

Ram Upgrade Eligibility for WXP
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:58:03 PM »
I am a Windows XP Home Edition User and want to upgrade my RAM to 256 MB of RAM
from 128 MB of RAM.

If you would like to see how your system configuration compares to the AOL recommended system configuration, please run a scan of your PC at Upgrade Advisor. Click the Check Your Computer Specs tab on the left hand navigation bar of Computer Check-Up and click Check Now.

I could not find Upgrade Advisor per say, . .

but I did go here;

Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
Microsoft's Upgrade Advisor helps you evaluate the readiness of your system for Window XP.

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

How Do I Use Upgrade Advisor?
It's a simple process:

Check for Upgrade Eligibility: Find out if your version of Windows is eligible for an upgrade to Windows XP Professional

and recieved the following report, . .

however, I can't figure it out, am I eleigible or not ? , . . will appreciate your interpretation.

Jp

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Ram Upgrade Eligibility for WXP
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 09:10:17 PM »
Are you upgrading your OS?  No, you said your're already running Win XP.  So, why would even ask about the (OS) Upgrade advisor?   ::)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:52:24 PM by soybean »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:47:58 PM »
    Jp.....
    however, I can't figure it out, am I eleigible or not ?
    Don't you simply wish to install more Ram .....? Obtain the additional ram ...... make certain it is compatible with the ram you have now..... Then simply shut down your machine ...... open it up and after taking the necessary steps to ensure you have drained off any static that may be in your body install the new ram in one of the available slots. ( Dont put your fingers on the chips on the ram ...handle the stick by the ends.) Close things up and restart your machine ....... If you have the correct ram installed and it's properly seated it should now reflect the new amout of ram.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Jp

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »
    Well, yes I am in the process of installing more RAM, and thank you for your confidence that I can pull it off without a hitch.

Amongst other quibbeling questions, I may have, one is what is that eligibility up-grade chart all about ?

Is an upgrade of RAM the qualification to have WXP Pro, become the name of your OS ?

or is this chart not for me ?

I purchased the computer with WXP installed, what is this previous version, is it that this chart is for a specific up-grade that does not include factory installed versions ?

What I am fairly sure of is there are, or I will find two(2)  slots for RAM, memory chips, . .
    one is filled with a 128 MGB, and I will be installing pretty much a duplicate chip in the empty slot. Right, . .No Biggy !

GOINK !  :D !

Jp

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:03:36 PM by Jp »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:03:49 PM »
    If you're using DDR RAM chances are very high it'll work, if you're using SD-RAM, chances are slim that it won't work.

Do you have additional RAM slots left?

Windows XP Home and Professional are almost similar, 256MB RAM is a minimum if you actually want to get something done. A processor of >500Mhz is recommended as well.