Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Double os on 1 hard drive  (Read 7496 times)

Raptor

Re: Double os on 1 hard drive
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2004, 04:10:38 PM »
If i do reconnect the slave drive. Do i format and partition it, or just format the drive?

Create partitions using the Windows XP CD, not Fdisk if you have been doing so.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2004, 05:08:45 PM »
Dont ask me! It said i was reformatting my C: drive but it reformatted the D: slave drive instead. To top it all off, it also formatted my c: drive and made it so it wouldnt recognize my c: main drive. So, i went in and disconnected my slave drive and put everything back on my 120gb hd. :P I'm having my doubts if i will even reconnect my slave drive. I'm afraid to lose everything all over again. :o If i do reconnect the slave drive. Do i format and partition it, or just format the drive?

Once things get this confused, it's best to start over.  There are physical drives and logical drives.  Stop calling the 120GB the C drive, it's the Master drive (Physical Drive 0).  It can have many partitions which may be called C, D, E, F...etc.  The other physical drive is the Slave drive (Physical Drive 1) and it can have multiple partitions, Q, R, S, T...etc.  Think of physical drives as a file cabinet and partitions as file drawers in the file cabinet.  Then, you label the file drawers, C, D, E, F, etc.
So...2 physical drives is 2 file cabinets.  Windows will be on partition C, which is usually the 1st partition on Physical Drive 0.  Windows allows you to define any available drive letter for any partition.

I have 5 partitions on Physical Drive 0, and 1 partition on Physical Drive 1.
C=Windows
D=Data
E=Downloads
F=Windows Swap & all temporary files.

whitewolf36

Topic Starter

Rookie
    « Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 10:39:47 AM »
     I was referring the c: drive as the 12ogb hd so noone would get confused., between my main and my slave drive.  Heres a question for you. My slave drive has win xp pro on it, if i reconnect it will it cause confusion with my main hd or will it just be labeled my D: drive? Also if i back up all my data using the files and settings transfer wizard, and send it to my slave drive, will it mess up my main drive?

merlin_2

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2004, 12:50:30 PM »
    windows will move on a letter?...what is your cdrom/ dvd drive letters...Raptor Posted on: Oct 14th, 2004, 10:36am
    Either format the partition you no longer want the Operating System on or uninstall the Operating System by booting in it and selecting it from the Add/Remove software list
     are you taking the advice....or reformat the hard drive using a win98 boot disk? clean slate...or back to square one.. forget the main drive<C> format the slave drive ....or tranfer files  from it to disk f/d cd/rw

whitewolf36

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #19 on: October 25, 2004, 10:10:57 AM »
      Okay , i'm going to reconnect my slave drive. I just want to back up some things off of my main drive onto slave drive. So, i guess i'll just reformat slave drive and store some things on it. :P Thanks for all your help.