Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: flash drive can work in my Notebook but desktop  (Read 2433 times)

kwfine

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    flash drive can work in my Notebook but desktop
    « on: January 13, 2007, 10:59:52 PM »
    I have a flash drive of 128MB, such a small size of capacity should be recognized even in win98.
    It's weird that when I plugged it to my notebook, the power light is on and I can read and write the data, but when I plugged it to my desktop (XP SP2), the power light never turns on.
    I thought it may be the USB problem, so I change another USB port and tried, but it fails to work neither.
    I have tested those USB ports in my Desktop with other USB hardware, and they all works.

So, come to the conclusion, I think the power assigned to any of the USB ports of my Desktop should not be enough; but any of these USB ports have been tested with USB HDD of 80GB, so the reason why the USB port can drive USB HDD but fails to drive a 128MB Flash Drive is a mystery to me!

Please advise!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: flash drive can work in my Notebook but deskto
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 07:55:25 AM »
    Have you tried this flash drive on any other desktops ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kwfine

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:18:33 PM »
      Have you tried this flash drive on any other desktops ? ?
      Yes, I did!

pcfool

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:08:51 AM »
        i never counter this kind of problem in xp sp2, have u try to reinstall the usb controller driver?

kwfine

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 04:40:37 AM »
          i never counter this kind of problem in xp sp2, have u try to reinstall the usb controller driver?
          how to reinstall?

Instead, I am looking for an extension cable with two USB heads to gain power from two USB ports
          for my USB flash drive.
          But I am not sure if there is such a cable in the world?!

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:46:32 AM »
          I guess the question should be does it work on other computers running Win98. Some do not have drivers for that OS. The size of the drive itself is irrelevant.  ;)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 01:33:24 PM »
          how to reinstall?

Instead, I am looking for an extension cable with two USB heads to gain power from two USB ports
          for my USB flash drive.
          But I am not sure if there is such a cable in the world?!

I don't believe so...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pcfool

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 05:42:32 PM »
            how to reinstall?

i not sure it's the correct way to do this, i just tell you what i'll do. go to device manager, usb controller, uninstall all the usb host controller and usb root hub, restart your pc, then go to device manager again, u'll see some device with [highlight]?[/highlight], you possible need your window CD to install the driver back for those device with ? let the OS auto search for driver.

[highlight]Instead, I am looking for an extension cable with two USB heads to gain power from two USB ports
            for my USB flash drive.
            But I am not sure if there is such a cable in the world?![/highlight]

i think what you looking for is the USB cable for USB portable hard drive. you may get it at computer hardware shop, most 2.5" hard drive enclosure come with this kind of cable. but you saying you are looking for an [highlight]extension[/highlight]cable, that mean 1 end is male connector and the other end is female connector, then i also don't think there's such cable in the world. :P
            « Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 05:47:27 PM by bhchin4480 »

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 04:30:14 PM »
            I guess the question should be does it work on other computers running Win98. [highlight]Some do not have drivers for that OS[/highlight]. The size of the drive itself is irrelevant.  ;)

kwfine

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 12:16:33 PM »
              I guess the question should be does it work on other computers running Win98. [highlight]Some do not have drivers for that OS[/highlight]. The size of the drive itself is irrelevant.  ;)

Yes, it does, GX1_Man!
              Now the problem is solved.
              Thanks for the help!
              « Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 12:17:26 PM by kwfine »