Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer only boots for a couple seconds  (Read 2232 times)

NooKSY

Computer only boots for a couple seconds
« on: March 20, 2007, 05:36:23 PM »
Well my post is similiar to this http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1174407817
I recently ordered parts and built a new computer about 4 days ago, however after I got everything hooked up and tried turning it on it would only come on for about 3 seconds and shut off.  The lights would come on fans would kick on then boom everything would shut off.  I was plugging it into a surge protector with a bunch of other stuff in it so I unplugged it and plugged it into the wall thinking perhaps it wasn't getting enough power.  Hooray it worked came on and everything.  From what the D-Bracket thing in the back was saying, everything was working properly, so I turned it off and unplugged it, planning on installing windows and everything the next day.  Well, after that plugging it into an outlet had the same effect as when I plugged it into the surge protector, only comes on for a couple seconds then shuts off.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor
MSI K9A Platinum Socket AM2 ATI CrossFire Radeon Xpress 3200 ATX AMD Motherboard
Rosewill RT550-135-SL 550W 135mm Fan SLI Ready - ATX V2.2/EPS12V Power Supply 115/230 V UL/CUL/CB/TUV/CE
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
ATI Radeon x1600 PRO video card

I've taken it apart 3 times now to check everything and as far as I can tell everything is connected securely and properly.  I hope nothing is fried ;\

cjlach

Re: Computer only boots for a couple seconds
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:51:06 PM »
well mine has turned out to be an issue with my PSU, so if you have a back up I'd suggest trying to use that. it's interesting that we both are having issues with builds with the same processor though.