Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-ROM Not working?  (Read 1800 times)

Odyssey

CD-ROM Not working?
« on: March 20, 2007, 02:55:10 PM »
Hello,

I just currently tried using my CD-ROM and it didnt work so i just restarted my computer and it still didnt work so then i looked into my device manager and my CD-ROM has a little yellow exclamation mark next to it.

So i looked that up and it says that, the yellow exclamation mark means the hardware is being conflicted with...

Then after all this i looked up alot of different ways of trying to fix this and nothing works at all.

I went to my local computer store and bought a brand new CD-ROM and installed it and i still have that little symbol next to it.
Ive tried running scans and got all the viruses and adware ect ect. outa my computer so thats another thing to mark off.

I also have another computer that i just built and its having the same exact problem so i really dont know whats happening. and i really need to use my CD-ROM as soon as possible so if anyone could be of my assistance and help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Drew

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: CD-ROM Not working?
    « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 03:16:34 PM »
    Odyssey.....  Please provide some info about the system .......
    how many hard drives , how many optical drives , the operating system ......etc. Have you checked to be sure the drivers are installed . Did this condition just appear ?
    Did the issue with the cd-rom start with the arrival of the viruses you say you have removed ?

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:17:47 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Nancy_O

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 04:08:50 PM »
    You said you looked up a whole lot of things and tried them out but they didnt work either????mmmmmmmmm
    Did you try removing the cd rom with the exclamation mark and rebooting to see if windows could locate it?  Have you tried seeing if it will work in MS Dos?  Have you properly hooked up the the cd rom and what have you gotten it set at?  Have you got power going to it?
    Were these some of all the different things you tried out????
    « Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 04:09:52 PM by Nancy_O »

Odyssey

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 01:06:32 PM »
    Ok im running XP and ive tried going into safe mode and trying to see if it works in there and it doesnt, and yes i tried deleting it from device manager and restarting and windows does find it.

But the CD-ROM does open and close ect ect, it just wont read no discs, ive tried data disks and audio/video disks....

I also bought a brand new CD-ROM and it doesnt work ethier...

So i dont know...

Maybe ill just have to reformate?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 01:29:26 PM »
    As was already asked how do you have it cabled and how are the jumpers set ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "