Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hello guys, i have a question. my wireless interne  (Read 4765 times)

teresatanner

hello guys, i have a question. my wireless interne
« on: March 22, 2007, 09:57:47 AM »
hello guys, i have a question. my wireless internet has been working perfectly until yesterday!!! i have a hp laptop with windows xp on it and i use a wireless-g 2.4 ghz LINKSYS broadband router. with comcast internet.

now today when i turn on my laptop not only does it take a LONG time to load up ( i turn it up and my picture i use as my desktop backround just shows with no icons on or anything for a good 5 mins)

Now when i look at my wireless internet icon on the bottom it says.. speed 54.0 mbps and says the connection is very good. but then it says acquiring network address.

it then says bytes sent- 0
and recieved - 923

when i go to view wireless networks it says..
"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. if you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection use that software. if you want windows to configure this wireless connection start the wireless zero configuation (WZC) service. for information about starting the WZC service, see article 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com website.

i look in my control panel then add new or delete files and i dont see any thing to do with wireless

I thought it was the drivers but it says all my drivers are up to date and it says it it is working well.

can someone please tell me what to do ... all this happened once my boyfriend started windows and while it started up and was loading programs he pressed the button on top to turn it on and off and it didnt just go off it said logging off.. then shut it down and ever since he did that his internet has been doing this

we have a old dell windows 2000 laptop that is working perfectly using wireless but they go direcly its not like xp at all. but im trying to fix my work laptop i need it for work asap

thank you

teresatanner

Re: hello guys, i have a question. my wireless int
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:58:56 AM »
plz ne help out there?

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:12:26 AM »
    be pateint not everyone is on all day like me lol

try unplugging hte power from both the modem and the router

wait 30 secs

plug modem back in let it boot up all the way
    then plug the router back in restart your computer and then try it

unlovedwarrior

teresatanner

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 02:48:52 PM »
    didnt work still says acuirieng network address  and then i go to support tab it says invalid  ip address   and ip address 00.00.00.00 something like that and same thing for subnet mask

it reicing bytes but not sending them out

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 03:08:12 PM »
    I think you may have a bigger problem here than just your wireless network malfunctioning.  Have you rebooted since, and does it take as long to boot?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

teresatanner

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »
    yeah iv rebooted alot

and it takes a little time to boot but it eventually boots up

the weird part is all this just started happening 2 days ago when my bf pushed the on/off button a couple of times while everything was loading.but when he did it it said logging off and then shut down so not like it turned off wrong way

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    « Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 04:04:27 PM »
    Okay, well lets start by going back to a restore point, before all this happened.  Go to Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->System Restore.  Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time".  Choose the date just before this happened then follow the instructions.

Don't worry - you won't lose any data during this process.  Report back on your progress?
    « Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 04:04:50 PM by robpomeroy »

teresatanner

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:14:35 PM »
    it says stystem can not be restored because no changes have been made.

:(

kinda weird hmm

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    « Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:54:13 PM »
    Were none of the dates on the little calendar in bold?

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 06:10:44 PM »
    all this happened once my boyfriend started windows and while it started up and was loading programs he pressed the button on top to turn it on and off and it didnt just go off it said logging off.. then shut it down and ever since he did that his internet has been doing this

Did he by any chance press a little button that looks like a radar sending out waves as well....?

If so, he turned off the W-LAN NIC and you'll have to enable it again by pressing the same button. Look up your user documentation on laptop button and keyboard layout to see what I mean.