Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: More Ad-Aware agro!  (Read 3807 times)

pantherman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    More Ad-Aware agro!
    « on: April 02, 2007, 12:06:18 PM »
    Although I still can't update Ad-Aware by clicking on update in the program (It just brings up "Error updating") last time I was able to do it manually thanks to help given on this site. I have just tried to install the latest update, but now it asks me for a password (which I do not have) before it will unzip into the Ad-Aware program. I have reread the instructions, but as far as I can see am following them to the letter! Any suggestions please?

oddjob

Hopeful

Re: More Ad-Aware agro!
      « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 02:08:58 AM »
      My immediate suggestion is only the obvious one, I'm afraid .... you should try completely UNinstalling the program, reboot your PC then download/install a fresh copy.

Hope this works but, if not, other suggestions will follow. If not from me then from other members.

OJ

pantherman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 12:14:36 PM »
        Thanks Oddjob. I have tried this before, but will give it another try.

pantherman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 07:23:30 AM »
          It seems I am not the only one having problems with Ad-Aware. I found (eventually) the below on the Lavasoft site. I am taking the easy option and depending on SpyBot and A-Squared to find what Ad-Aware would have, and start reusing it again when they sort out the update problem.

From Lavasoft:-

We are currently experiencing problems with our definition file updating service for customers using certain Internet Service Providers (Earthlink, for example).
          The problem produces the Ad-Aware SE warning: "Error retrieving updates" when performing a webupdate. It interrupts at 5% download completion .
          (If your update stalls at another point than at 5 %, your problem stems from another issue.
          See http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=1336 )

The update problems are a result of expired DNS records for our previous definition update servers. Now, some Internet Service Providers DNS servers are routing erroneous domain requests to a custom webpage, rather than to the standard The domain you requested could not be found 404 error page. This stops our updating service from functioning .

We are currently resolving to fix this problem and have contacted the ISP:s in question.

As a temporary solution, you can reconfigure your DNS settings.

Check with your ISP (website FAQ:s or support) and find out if they provide any alternative DNS server addresses and instructions how to configure this.
          (If you are using a router, you may need to change the DNS settings on the router.)

If you use Earthlink as ISP (or Earthlink owned ISP:s) you can try this solution (provided by Earthlink) for working your way around the problem:
          http://kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=187117

There is a few 'Related Articles' at the bottom of the webpage, how to manually specify DNS information, for various operative systems and ADSL modems.

The following link includes a list of other Earthlink owned domains.
          http://kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=28968

Thank you for your patience as we endeavor to solve this web update issue

oddjob

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 07:40:58 AM »
            We thanks for that. Now we know. ;D

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

OJ

Fed

• Sage
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 01:53:11 PM »
              Well done pantherman good Karma to you. :)