Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I get my computers to talk to each other ?  (Read 7108 times)

pop3p

How can I get my computers to talk to each other ?
« on: March 26, 2007, 08:49:53 PM »
I have two computers connected to a wireless network.  One runs Win XP, the other Win 2K.  Setup is MSHOME (workgroup).  
When I look at the network summary page by typing in the internet address into the IE7 (http://192.xxx.x.xx) the home network does show up, it also listed the two computers.  I never run any home network set up, both computers are just connected to my wireless connection.  How can I get the two computers to talk to each other?  I tried to set up home net work using Win XP but could not complete it as I am not how how to proceed.  Reading several articles on this topic did not help me.  Help!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: How can I get my computers to talk to each other ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 03:03:39 PM »
When you say "talk to each other" what do you actually want to be able to do?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

pop3p

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 09:29:13 AM »
I want to be able to grab the music files from my laptop and move them to my desktop.  Is it only about setting shared files?  I have tried to read up on this subject but having difficult time understanding it.  I beleive there was a post earlier addressing this issue.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 11:07:07 AM »
Yes, shared files/folders is all you need.  If you do a search for "shared files" I suspect you'll find quite a few relevant posts.  Let us know if you're still stuck though.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

pop3p

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 05:08:51 PM »
Thanks, still I tried and failed.  I am still new to networking.  I went to workgroup and found both laptop and desktop.  From my desktop, I clicked the icon of the laptop but it came back as not accessible.  No network path found????

I set the itune file on my laptop for sharing because I would like to transfer the file from my laptop to my desktop but failed.

MP

pop3p

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 05:30:42 PM »
Sorry for all the trouble.  I just checked my firewall event list and found that I needed to topen port 445 to allow my desktop to access my laptop.  I went ahead and did it and now I can access my laptop.

Now I have figure out how to set up my printer.  I plugged my printer into the router so both computers can access it, but still trying to figure out how.  I am wondering if I need to do the same thing with my wireless router firewall (open a port).  My router is 2wire 1800HG gateway. 

MP

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 06:07:20 PM »
    You don't say what kind of printer you have.  You may have to go into the router and give it a static IP, then run the software for it on each machine to be able to see it.  You also may just have to run the software that came with the printer.  I've done it both ways.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

pop3p

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:54:10 PM »
    HP Photosmart All In One 2600 series.  Finally, using the cd that came with the printer, I was able to install the printer (connected to the wireless router in a different room) on my desktop running Win XP.  Now I can print from my desktop.  Now I am going to find out how my laptop can see this printer.  I may have to run the cd in the same manner as when I installed this printer on my desktop, but this would not be considered network shared printer then?  It is just two computers can print on the same printer??

MP

lino124

Intermediate
      « Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 12:40:56 PM »
      As for the printer u dont have to install it again in the laptop by running the installation CD again, all u have to do is to go to your desktop PC in printers and faxes, locate the HP 2600n right click it and share that printer. Then go to to your laptop and and open printers and faxes and click add a printer click next and remember to select a network or a printer attached to another computer. You can either browser or connect to it, if u no the path to it, the easiest way is to connect to it well i do that for mine. If u want to connect to it in the Name box type this \\ followed by the computer name where the printer is installed end with \ that should open your printer just select and continue with the rest. I have the same printer at work and it is simple and easy to connect it. The other method is by connecting through a network but u have to assign it an IP, default gateway or subnetmask. :-\

Hope this works for u. :)

viking

Adviser
      • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
        « Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 11:36:34 PM »
        I hate mirc shortcuts  >:(

If you want to share the printer on your network, you have to install drivers on all the computers. See the manual for more information...
        Otherwise you will have a large chance to miss a good part of printer options, when you will use it from another computer in the network.