Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No post at start up, Giving display beep code  (Read 2684 times)

gamtheb

No post at start up, Giving display beep code
« on: March 27, 2007, 05:33:09 PM »
What started as repairing a friends computer eventually turned into a complete overhaul.

Here is the story, He was playing eq2 one day, happy as a clam, and suddenly his comp died.  After that, it just would not start up.
He broght it to me, and I replaced the psu, same issue, replaced the mobo, and nada.... after he thought about it, he decided that he wants to upgrade anyway, so asked me to get him new parts and build him a new system...

So, here is the list
Asus M2N32 sli am2 mobo
Amd Fx-62 cpu
2 gigs of ddr2 ram (a-bit, or a-byte or something, it was listed in the mobo manual as being compatable)
antec 900 gaming case (which has a mini tornado inside.... I mean wow lol)

At first I used his exisiting graphics card... Put it together and BAM same problem.  The fans would twitch, but nothing powered up....  After I recovered from the head trauma of banging it against the wall, I took the graphics card out, and everything, started working... So I deduced that after all that, it turned out to be the graphics card.  So I replaced with:

Nvidia 7950

NOW everything powers up, but no display, and the beep code gives me the 1 long, and 2 short beeps, which tells me that it can't display.

I have checked, rechecked, reseated.  I switched his graphics card with mine, to see if it was a defective card, and his works in my computer, but mine still had the same issue in his.
The only thing I didn't replace yet is the Hard drive.

Any suggestions?

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: No post at start up, Giving display beep code
    « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 05:59:39 PM »
    Some motherboards hold beep codes even after the problem is fixed. One possible solution is to remove the battery, clearing the CMOS, then replacing it.
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

gamtheb

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 06:10:43 PM »
    Thanks for the response,

I used the jumpers to clear the cmos, but not sure if I did it right.
    I have never cleared the cmos before, so here is what I did, I put the jumper from the pins, and put it on the 2 pins that was stated in the mobo manual, let it sit there for about 30 seconds, and replaced the jumper on the default pins.  Then powered the system back up, with same issue however.

I didn't take the battery out however, would that do more than reset it, or is it the same principal, just different method?

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 06:14:12 PM »
      I'd remove the battery. I'm trying to find out if this is common with ASUS motherboards, but it doesn't appear to be. However, removing the battery might fix it as I've encountered this kind of problem with my Gigabyte mobo.
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

gamtheb

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 02:09:49 AM »
      removed the battery, still same situation. 

grayg

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 08:04:02 AM »
      You get absolutely no display at all?
      Tried swapping monitors?
      A hard drive really shouldn't cause such a problem but you should try leaving it disconnected on the boot up.

gamtheb

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:57:45 AM »
      The monitor is good, I use it on my exisiting system as a second monitor.  And I have tried it with the hd disconnected with the same results.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 05:52:58 PM »
        Strip the system of everything but the motherboard / video / RAM.  Boot the system.  Do you POST?  If so, start adding one component at a time, starting with the keyboard, mouse, etc., until the system fails.  Usually the last component installed is the culprit...though not always.

Alan <><  :-)
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

pidu_rak

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »
        hi had thats problem and i could hear it from the hard disk so i reconnected my hard disk and it works fine....

and after some time this same problem re appears..again...

i too dont know.. wat to do to really over come this.. i jus posted this problem can u give me a solution for this...chk my post and help me..man