Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows freezing after sitting idle  (Read 2374 times)

IsleOf

Windows freezing after sitting idle
« on: April 01, 2007, 10:53:11 AM »
Hi Folks

Im haveing trouble with my PC and i really hope you can help. Ive googled and asked loads of advice baut cant find the answer.

A couple of wweks back my friend gave me his old AMD 3500+ chip heatsink, fan and graphics card. Everything worked on his computer and he was upgrading so theres no reason to believe they are faulty. I bought a new motherboard, new ram and a new hard drive. So basicly ive got a new computer.
I have installed XP and a few small programs that i use. However any time i leave my computer alone for 20-30 mins it hangs. This is with no software running at all. In fact if i leave it during the logon screen it will hang then as well. But i can work away on it for ages and its fine its only if i leave it alone.

Screensaver is off, and so are any power saving otions. The temperature of the cpu has never been above 33°C and fans are working so it isnt overheating

Hope someone can help

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows freezing after sitting idle
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 11:10:25 AM »
Have you checked to see if there any power saving options enabled in the BIOS ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

IsleOf

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 11:17:31 AM »
Yes i checked that. Ill check again though in case i overlooked.

IsleOf

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 11:23:12 AM »
Ive checked it and i found the cool,n,quiet feature was on auto. A friend told me this may be the problem if it was on. Ive disabled it now to see if it fixes the problem

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 11:53:51 AM »
cool n quiet...COOL !

IsleOf

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »
Not so cool. Didnt work. Started my PC with this disabled and left it on while i played some Xbox. Sure enough when in come back and try to do something it freezes.

I really dont want to have to pay for new windows after i fling my PC through them

Any more ideas

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 12:14:28 PM »
Just a shot in the dark here seeing how you said you checked all the settings in Power Management...
Go to Start/Run and type in sfc /scannow and hit Enter...have your XP CD handy as it will ask for it.

p.s. Did you remember to use thermal compound when you installed the CPU ? ?

IsleOf

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 12:22:10 PM »
Yes power management is set so it never manages power. i.e everything is always on.

Thermal grease was on when CPU was installed. temperatures seem fine.

I cant get sfc/scannow to run.  ???

IsleOf

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 12:25:33 PM »
Sorry. When i run sfc / scannow a dos window pops up then disappears again. Too fast for me to read. I must have blinked the first time and missed it ;)