Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error 1714  (Read 2548 times)

grubbyjeans

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Error 1714
    « on: March 31, 2007, 11:38:44 PM »
    For an unknown reason Adobe Acrobat 7.09 has failed to run.

I have not been able to reinstall. Here is what I've done:

Attempted removal through control panel. Dialog box reports in can't be removed.

I tried to reinstall and during the process Windows (XP SP2) reports the error during removing applications. The folders have been removed and registry repair utilities report that errors have been repaired, yet when trying to reinstall Acrobat reports that I have a functional copy of the software installed and aborts.

Help!!!!

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Error 1714
      « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 01:04:55 AM »

grubbyjeans

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 10:54:42 AM »
        I read that FAQ and followed it without success.  Running appwiz.cpl brought up the add/remove dialog where Acrobat Reader shows to be installed, but the change/remove icon is non-existent. When I went to the tree there were no folders for Adobe, either under Program Files or Application Data.  I dropped to the cmd level and looked at the directories and Adobe isn't there.

Following that, I used the code that was generated when I attempted the install and searched the registry.

Installing Adobe Reader 7.0.9
         The program features you selected are being installed.

Please wait while setup installs Adobe Reader 7.0.9. This may take several
                       minutes.

Removing applications
                       Application: {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A70700000002}, Command line: UPGRA...

Error 1714.The older version of Adobe Reader 7.0.9
          cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support
          group. 

I removed all references to the string, Adobe, and Acrobat, yet my attempt at reinstalling after defragging the registry and rebooting returns a message that I "already have a functional installation of the software and this install will abort".

I'm reluctant to go any deeper into the registry. I don't want to blow such a hole in it that Windows pukes. I just can't find the pointer to Adobe that is preventing a re-install.

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 02:26:27 PM »
          Did you try all the suggestions at the Adobe site including using the Microsoft cleanup utility?
          Perhaps you will need to talk to Adobe about this.

grubbyjeans

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 03:14:43 PM »
            PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!!!

Here is the key. I've pasted the text of the display from the Windows Cleanup utility, before and after. When I first ran the util. there was NO indication that ANYTHING Adobe lived on my computer.  On the latest run I took a chance that the first line was the clue. The version of Acrobat that I had previously run was version..."7.0.8".  I closed my eyes and hit delete, rebooted and successfully installed version 7.0.9.  My next step was to just forget it and say FoxIt!!  ;D

(All Users) [7.0.8]
            (All Users) ANTS Loan Calculator [1.0.2]
            (All Users) Apple Software Update [1.0.2.1]

(All Users) Adobe Reader 7.0.9 [7.0.9]
            (All Users) ANTS Loan Calculator [1.0.2]
            (All Users) Apple Software Update [1.0.2.1]

Fed

• Sage
              « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 12:04:41 AM »
              Great work and you just reminded me of a Foxit update last week so I'd better go and get it. ;)