Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two hard drives (won't work in win98?)  (Read 3792 times)

almostgeek

Two hard drives (won't work in win98?)
« on: April 03, 2007, 11:11:29 AM »

I have an old computer; Compaq Presario 4540 from 1998
I need more space than 2 GB, but when I insert a new hard drive it seems like neither windows or msdos can find it. I've tried different jumper settings. (every setting thats mentioned on the new and old hard drive) but when I start the computer it only finds the old hard drive on 2 GB

The hard drive specifications is:
(new)  Western digital WD200  {drive parameter} LBA39102336    {20 GB}
(Old)    quantum bigfoot CY {2 . 0 GB}

It's running win 98 :P but I need it to simple use...

Can someone help me please?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Two hard drives (won't work in win98?)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:20:45 AM »
The old drive with Win98 should be at the end of the data cable and have the jumper set to "master with slave"

The new one should be on the middle IDE connector and jumpered as slave.

But you might have to use the CD that shipped with the HDD or connect it on a newer machine and format it first. Windows will not see it until it is formatted.

Yuo will want to format it for the FAT 32 file system...

Hope this helps.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

almostgeek

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 12:27:42 PM »
Thanks for the tips, but

I tried and a message came on a black screen: "operating system not found."
so I set the cables where they was placed earlier but then everything seemed to become even worse; the same message; operating system not found, was repeating over and over again, while the computer looks for  diskette. the same errror message came even when I had inserted a boot cd with win98 SE on it.  even if I disconnect the new hard drive. :-[

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 12:34:53 PM »
What was on the new HDD ? ?Was it blank ? ?

Remove the new drive and set the jumper to master only connected to the end of the IDE ribbon cable and do a few cold boots...

almostgeek

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 12:55:29 PM »
I've triede disconnecting every drive exept the old hdd but still I get the error Cannot find Operating system, even with a boot diskette and/or a install-on-boot cd it can't find OS.
I've also spent a little time in BIOS, but not even BIOS will recognize any of the drives longer, what could be the problem?
PS: should I buy a new hdd and use only that one? (I don't really have enough money for that but if it is the only solution...)
 I have two computers running win98, but the graphic card in the other computer is "dead".  I use a laptop to be in the forum. the only possible way to copy files is with a cd from the laptop, so if there is any cheaper solution than to buy a new hdd i would be happy.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 01:15:32 PM »
We need to back up a bit here and be clear on what happened...
You had a working Win98 system that failed after you added another HDD...
You now cannot boot to that system correct ? ?
You are now mentioning another machine with a failed Vid card that also doesn't work correct ? ?

Are you randomly switching around a bunch of HDD's from machine to machine in order to get something to work ? ?

This can cause chaos altogether...

And restate what your goals are here and what you want to accomplish.

almostgeek

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 01:26:22 PM »
The computer was working, but I needed more space, so I tried to insert a new hdd, it all seemed fine, though the new hdd couldn't be found, so i tried  connecting it like you said, then it searched for a diskette instead of an OS, so I went to BIOS all seemed fine, so I tried to unplug the new hdd, but then the error came and repeated, the other computer works fine, but is missing a usable video-card,
so if I need to buy anything, what would be cheapest? a neww hdd ( I only need 10 more GB) or a new video card?
I hope it is possible to fix the first computer I mentioned because that's the one who works best. and no I'm not "switching around with a bunch of hdds".
the content on the new HDD is unknown but most likely an empty NTFS or FAT32 formatted drive. Both HDDs worked fine before I tried to combine them in the same computer, and the system of WIN98 also ran ok.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »
    I've triede disconnecting every drive exept the old hdd but still I get the error Cannot find Operating system, even with a boot diskette and/or a install-on-boot cd it can't find OS.
    I've also spent a little time in BIOS, but not even BIOS will recognize any of the drives longer, what could be the problem?  If the BIOS doesn't see any of the drives, then Windows surely won't.  You don't say how big the "new" hard drive is either.
    PS: should I buy a new hdd and use only that one? (I don't really have enough money for that but if it is the only solution...)
     I have two computers running win98, but the graphic card in the other computer is "dead".  I use a laptop to be in the forum. the only possible way to copy files is with a cd from the laptop, so if there is any cheaper solution than to buy a new hdd i would be happy.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    « Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 03:54:43 PM »
    What is the model number and manufacturer name of
    the computer that doesn't see your hard drive?
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Computer builder

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 08:21:32 AM »
     :P did yo check the boot sequence? i repair old computers and that is often the problem.
    The old hdd w/os should be on the end of the cable and set to master, the new hdd should be on the middle of the cable and set to slave.
    in bios the boot sequence should be the old hdd as primary and the cd rom drive as secondary.
    Lightning Mods Computer Design & Repair