Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Delete item from Adobe Reader ?  (Read 3801 times)

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Delete item from Adobe Reader ?
    « on: April 03, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »
    Recently a PC game was issued free with a newspaper - a fantasy "Warcraft" game.  Out of curiosity I had a look and inserted the cd rom and clicked on an opening option - the instruction book (110 Pages!).  This came up in Adobe Reader (manual pdf).  I looked but wasn't interested in installing the game, so exited.  I now find that the instruction book is still in Adobe Reader and I can't figure out how to delete or get rid of it.

Help needed please.

I have Firefox , Adobe Reader 7

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Delete item from Adobe Reader ?
    « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 07:56:30 PM »
    Recently a PC game was issued free with a newspaper - a fantasy "Warcraft" game.  Out of curiosity I had a look and inserted the cd rom and clicked on an opening option - the instruction book (110 Pages!).  This came up in Adobe Reader (manual pdf).  I looked but wasn't interested in installing the game, so exited.  I now find that the instruction book is still in Adobe Reader and I can't figure out how to delete or get rid of it.

Help needed please.

I have Firefox , Adobe Reader 7
    You lost me there.  If you closed Adobe Reader, how can the instruction book still be in it?

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:06:52 AM »
      Thanks for reply Soybean.
      I have today checked Adobe Reader and find that the document has now gone. 
      To check again, I duplicated the procedure - loaded the disk, clicked the manual to bring it up in Adobe, exited and removed the cd - and after this the document is still listed in the Adobe file menu, even after closing and reopening the program.  It seems to be deleted only when the pc is shut down.  This is what I didn't do first time.  Anyway, all clear now - thanks again.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 09:19:40 AM »
      Thanks for reply Soybean.
      I have today checked Adobe Reader and find that the document has now gone. 
      To check again, I duplicated the procedure - loaded the disk, clicked the manual to bring it up in Adobe, exited and removed the cd - and after this the document is still listed in the Adobe file menu, even after closing and reopening the program.  ....
      Yep, that's normal.  Like many other applications, Adobe Reader shows a "most-recently used list" when you click on File to display the File menu.  If you want to change the number of files that appear in that list, go to Edit, Preferences, and change it. Set to 0 if you want. 

Another trick would be to open enough other PDF files after the one you want to drop off the list to make the unwanted file to disappear from the list.  See what I mean?

Also, using CCleaner will clean out such lists.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 11:16:34 AM »
        OK - I think I understand a bit better now - thanks for the explanation and tips.

I run CCleaner regularly and this may be why I've not noticed this happening before.