Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't delete a hard drive in windows ME!  (Read 3555 times)

Mad Mike

Can't delete a hard drive in windows ME!
« on: October 17, 2004, 11:13:35 PM »
 >:(
I'm trying to erase a hard drive that has windows ME and for some reason can't seem to do it! I keep getting a message that the c: drive is busy! I tried getting to the dos prompt at startup but it only gets me to the setup screen! Help me please! Anybody out there in the ether have any suggestions other that taking a big magnet to it or pitching out the window?

Please help!
Mad Mike

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can't delete a hard drive in windows ME!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 01:31:39 AM »
No doubt a more knowledgeable poster will correct me if I'm wrong but I understand you cannot delete (format) a drive which is in use so if you have booted from C: your cannot then format C:   Perhaps you should boot from a floppy (Bootdisk.com) which has Format on it and then format C: from there?

Good luck

D...
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 02:17:55 AM »
    Mad Mike....Yes....your absolutely correct if your trying to format the drive from C drive ...you cant as was posted by Dusty..... Use your Win 98 boot disk or if you dont have one , go to www.bootdisk.com  and download one.
    Make sure that the boot disk you D/l has the Fdisk function on it as well as the Format command. The disk will also have a few generic cd drivers and several small DOS files .

So after you have the bootdisk....open it up and at the A: prompt type Format C:   followed by enter......
    You will get a message saying that all data will be lost ....do you wish to continue ....answer  yes and it will begin.   Make sure that you have saved whatever you want before doing this ...for example your E mail address book and whatever else you want .

let us know how you make out

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Mac

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 02:27:24 AM »
    As you are using ME you should really use an ME bootdiskette.

A:\>format c:

If you want to partition the drive:

A:\>fdisk , and Enable Large Drive Support (Y) when asked.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 01:38:23 PM »
    are you selling this pc if so download erazer...or just re-formated it...is this an oem ...?