Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sounds accelerated  (Read 2418 times)

vezina

Sounds accelerated
« on: April 05, 2007, 10:12:07 PM »
Hi all, I've recently acquired a problem with the sounds on my PC.

All of the sounds are way too fast for what they should be.  Startup sounds, Shutdown sounds, and every sound made by a program in between.

I noticed the problem after I had left my computer on while making a trip for food.  I had a game running, and I came back to my PC having restarted itself, and paused at the black startup screen, stuck at listing my power supply.

I restarted it manually, but now all of my sounds are entirely too fast to be useful.  Sounds also tend to be choppy during movies.  Thanks for reading this!

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Sounds accelerated
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 11:55:17 PM »
What operating system are you using?
Have you made any modifications to the sound card settings?
What happens when you reinstall the drivers?

vezina

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:08:18 AM »
Windows XP Pro.
I don't know that I've changed anything dealing with the sound card.
I tried updating the drivers that I can think of, but I don't know if I've done them all.

I have noticed this morning that my computer is apparently recognizing my speakers as a microphone.  Doe that mean there's something wrong with the 'line out' jack on my computer, and how would I go about testing/replacing that?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:27:15 AM »
Do you have a Restore Point prior to this happening?  If so, restore to that point and see whether that helps. 

To find your Restore Points: Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.