Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD format help  (Read 2509 times)

ccnz4enaz

HDD format help
« on: April 10, 2007, 07:54:34 PM »
 ;D I have a 250gig Western Digital HDD.  When I go to format it, the capacity always comes up as 127gig. So it seems that it is only seeing it as a 127gig HDD. It is a WDC2500JB. Any help on how to get it to format to 250gig? When in the my computer screen, I right click on the drive and go down to format. The format screen comes up and I cna't change the capacity to format. Thanks

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: HDD format help
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:07:39 PM »
What version of Windows are you using?

ccnz4enaz

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:11:23 PM »
This hard drive did not have an operating system on it. I installed XP and this is what is gave me.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 08:18:01 PM »

ccnz4enaz

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:22:40 PM »
Is it possible to make two partitions. Each one being 125gig?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 08:50:04 PM »
I believe the first thing you need to do is determine whether you have a 48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS. That requirement is stated on:
How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in Windows XP

Here's an excerpt from that page:

By default, the original release version of Windows XP Home Edition and of Windows XP Professional do not have 48-bit LBA support. Your computer must meet the following requirements to use 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:
•   48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS.
•   137-GB hard disk or larger.
•   You must have Windows XP SP1 installed.

If you don't know whether you have a 48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS, visit the website of your motherboard manufacturer and search for the info. 

If you can't find it, post the brand and model of your motherboard here and  someone will help.

ccnz4enaz

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 09:13:53 PM »
My bad. Thank you for what you have helped my with so far. I was mistaken. I was trying to format the drive in Vista. Let's just say I haven't slept well lately.  I was trying to format the drive so I could install XP on it. In the drive properties it says the capacity is 238474MB and the unallocated space is 107414MB. Is there a way to format this drive to have two equal partitions? Thank you and sorry for the misinformation. 

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 09:26:56 AM »
In the drive properties it says the capacity is 238474MB and the unallocated space is 107414MB. Is there a way to format this drive to have two equal partitions?
Do you have Windows XP installed now?  What does it report as used space on the hard drive?