Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Clock resets during unplug from outlet  (Read 2500 times)

joseph0829

System Clock resets during unplug from outlet
« on: March 20, 2007, 02:57:51 AM »
whenever i shutdown my computer and unplug it from the outlet...then i boot up again...then the system clock returns to 12:00AM with date January 1, 2000... why is this so?how am i gonna repair this?

GX1_Man

Re: System Clock resets during unplug from outlet
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 03:57:18 AM »
A an apparently failing clock can be from a dead CMOS battery. Try replacing that (as well as posting some details about the system and age if that doesn't resolve it).  ;)

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    « Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:55:46 AM »
    Also check your motherboard for a jumper which is used to reset the "CMOS" "BIOS" if the jumper is left over the wrong pins it can cause the same results.
    there are usually three pins and over two of the three pins it will reset,  but over the other two pins it is safe,  then it allows the battery circuit to keep the power on the CMOS.
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

joseph0829

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 09:40:13 PM »
    last year my system gets wet only at the lower part wherein the cmos battery was also wet then i remove it and let it dry....is it maybe the water dried up the cmos battery?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 06:14:13 AM »
    A battery is a sealed unit. You could have corroded or otherwise ruined the connectors.

joseph0829

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 02:29:47 AM »
    A battery is a sealed unit. You could have corroded or otherwise ruined the connectors.

how am i able to fix this?

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 09:21:26 AM »
    Did you start by replacing the battery with a new one?