Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dont pass me by.... got an answer for me? RE: upgrade my video card--?  (Read 2854 times)

taraljohnson

Hi, I had a post earlier in the week about upgrading my video card.  GTX answered and asked a question and I haven't  heard back what anyone's thoughts are on it.  Someone did post a rebate deal on a video card, but w/out knowing if I am okay to upgrade, I don't want to act on that just now.  I just wondered if my system would support an upgrade to a new video card.  No other reason than I would like a new one.

You guys rock, thanks for all you do!   :-*

Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer: 
   Operating System   Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional 
   OS Service Pack   Service Pack 4 
   DirectX   4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c) 

Motherboard: 
   CPU Type   Intel Pentium IIIE, 600 MHz (6 x 100) 
   Motherboard Name   Intel Mount Prospect MP440BX (2 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, LAN) 
   Motherboard Chipset   Intel 82440BX 
   System Memory   768 MB (SDRAM) 
   BIOS Type   Phoenix (11/30/99) 
   Communication Port   Communications Port (COM1) 
   Communication Port   Communications Port (COM2) 
   Communication Port   ECP Printer Port (LPT1) 

Display: 
   Video Adapter   ATI Technologies Inc. RAGE 128 GL AGP (16 MB) 
   3D Accelerator   ATI Rage128 GL 
   Monitor   LG L1932TQ(Analog) [NoDB] (160640747) 

Multimedia: 
   Audio Adapter   Creative SB Live! Value (CT4831) Sound Card

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
OK we know now what you have....how bout telling us what card you were looking at as a possible upgrade ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
tlj, Did you look at the minimum requirements for that card I suggested in your previous thread?  They are:

Minimum System Requirements

* Intel® Pentium® 4/III/Celeron™, AMD® Duron™/Athlon®/Athlon XP® or compatible with AGP 4X (1.5V), 8X (0.8v) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (4X/8X)
    * 128MB of system memory
    * Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
    * DVD playback requires DVD drive
    * Windows® 2000, or XP
    * NOTE : Check your computer system! This product is NOT for use in AGP 1.0 3-volt slots!

The only point that needs verification there is the Note at the bottom of that list.  I don't know whether your board has an AGP 1.0 3-volt slot (equates to AGP 1X/2X) or AGP 4X (1.5V).

taraljohnson

Thank you for your replies.

I do not know a thing about video cards, so I have no idea what would make a good upgrade.  That was why I was asking if the system could even support a new one.  If it can, I would make a decision in the store on which one to buy.

If I am reading this information correctly, based on soybean's post above, the AGP does not support the video card he gave me information on. I just learned something, so when making a choice, I will look for that information also....

*just a note guys, I don't know much about the (internal) hardware section of my computer, so please bear with me.  Thanks.

AGP Controller   
AGP Version   1.00
AGP Status   Enabled
AGP Device   ATI Magnum/Xpert 128/Xpert 99/Xpert 2000
AGP Aperture Size   64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds   1x, 2x
Current AGP Speed   2x

Fast-Write   Not Supported
Side Band Addressing   Supported, Enabled

soybean

Genius
AGP Controller   
AGP Version   1.00
AGP Status   Enabled
AGP Device   ATI Magnum/Xpert 128/Xpert 99/Xpert 2000
AGP Aperture Size   64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds   1x, 2x
Current AGP Speed   2x

Fast-Write   Not Supported
Side Band Addressing   Supported, Enabled

Where did you get this info?  From a reliable source?  Not doubting it, just asking whether you know it's correct.

Yes, I initially assumed your system would support AGP 4X cards; since 8X cards are backwards compatible with 4X, you could get any 4X/8X card.  Why did I assume that?  Because, a few years ago, I had a 600 MHz Duron CPU matched to an ECS K7SEM motherboard.  That Duron CPU was similar to your 600 MHz Pentium III.  The K7SEM motherboard supported AGP 4X (AGP version 2.0).  No doubt, many Pentium III processors are installed on motherboards that support AGP version 2.0.   But some, like yours, don't.

So, again, if your motherboard is AGP 1.0 version, it does not support AGP 4X/8X cards.  Sorry for not getting the facts straight in the beginning.

anokiagirl

I got the information from Everest Home, under Chipset/Device Descriptions.

I appreciate you looking at the post, but can you please tell me (my original question), if my system would support the upgrade of the video card to something else?  One with more memory and newer?  That is all I want to know.

soybean

Genius
Who are you?   ???  This thread was started by tlj.

GX1_Man

So, again, if your motherboard is AGP 1.0 version, it does not support AGP 4X/8X cards.  Sorry for not getting the facts straight in the beginning.

But a PCI card would work in any case without incident. Where is tlj, anyway?

soybean

Genius
I got the information from Everest Home, under Chipset/Device Descriptions.

I appreciate you looking at the post, but can you please tell me (my original question), if my system would support the upgrade of the video card to something else?  One with more memory and newer?  That is all I want to know.
This is a strange post.  Posts such as this are sometimes called hijacking.  In other words, you've hijacked some else's discussion. 

And, you provided so little information that giving a meaningful answer is not possible.

You need to start your own topic.  If you do not know how the forum works, reply and we'll help you with the procedure.

anokiagirl

Guys!

This is tlj, but I had some serious problems with this login last night. 

I clicked on my profile, noticed my email address was visible, went to the settings to change that (because I thought it was supposed to be "hiddnen", tried to redo my profile w/out my email address, couldn't, so I made up a bogus email address to "fool" the computer, and tried to login again as tlj and the stupid login screen said my email address was invalid, and said I needed to click on a verification link it  had sent to the bogus email address!!  So I couldn't get back in under tlj, so I made up a new profile using a very old screen name I used to have. 

Sorry for all this, I am not going to post anymore here.  Thanks anyways.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Dont pass me by.... got an answer for me? RE: upgrade my video card--?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 08:56:50 AM »
Well that would be a shame...your e-mail address is visible only to you. It cannot be seen by other members.

GX1_Man and soybean have no idea when you logon under a new user name who you are or if you are the Original poster or not unless you tell them.

We get alot of threads hijacked here and always deal with it the same way...

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "