Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need help with power supply wiring connectors  (Read 9598 times)

RebeccaD

need help with power supply wiring connectors
« on: April 11, 2007, 01:37:16 PM »
Can someone PLEASE help me with the power supply wiring?  I have an eMachine T2824, which recently wouldn't turn on.  I've got it torn apart, checked wirings with digital volt meter, everything seems good, but...still nothing.  I've tried plugging it in with another computer's cords...nothing.  When I have it all open, and plug it in, the Power Button on front lights up, but it just will not turn on!! I really don't know what else to do.  Now for the "wiring" part.  The part I need help with is the wiring coming from the power supply box.  There are 2 black, 1 red, and 1 yellow wires that go into Power Supply Connectors labled P2 and P3, then another set with Connectors labled P5, P6, and P7.  These two sets plug into the 2 hard drives.  The P7 connector is a very small one (compared to the other four) and this is the one that I don't know where it plugs in to.  I have contacted eMachines 4 times, but noone seems to be able to find any information about it.  If I could even find a schematic for how, and where, things are supposed to be plugged in inside this machine, I'd be happy.  I tore down an older eMachine, but of course, nothing's the same.  Can anyone please help me with this?  I sure would appreciate it.
Thank you,
Rebecca
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:06:51 PM by Computer Hope Admin »

mundesley

Re: need help with power supply wiring connectors
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 06:12:04 AM »
From your description it sounds like the power connector for the floppy drive.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 07:09:27 AM »
eMachine power supplies are notoriously poor, and the readings do not measure it under load.

Is that the original PSU? Do you have another known good one of sufficient wattage to swap in to test?

What happened prior to all of this?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 07:26:08 AM »
Yeah, take a look here: http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_power.htm.  See anything that looks like what you have there?

RebeccaD

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 12:01:01 PM »
No, Buscrew, it's for the CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive
Do you have any suggestions?
THank you

RebeccaD

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:06:02 PM »
Yeah, take a look here: http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_power.htm.  See anything that looks like what you have there?

Hi, again, soybean.  Don't know if you've read my e-mail to you or not, but I've been trying to post a couple of pics to go along with an explanation of what's going on, but the size comes out as too large to post. 
On is the back view of my CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive, reading from left to right…
The first pins have no writing above them.  Then, there are 2 pins labeled “Digital Audio”.  The next 4 pins are labeled “Analog Audio”.  The next 6 are vertical; the first one (green) is “cable Select, then Slave, then Master.
The long rows of pins are “Host Interface”, which is where the light gray ribbon plugs in.  The last set of four pins is, of course, “Power”, and this is where either the P5 or P6 connector plugs in. 
Now, here is where I’m having problems.  I really thought that the small format connection (P7) plugged someplace into this Drive.  However, there is simply no place for it.  Where does it go?  Does it plug into the motherboard someplace?  Or does it plug into anyplace at all?  Since the P5, P6, and P7 are all connectors on the same group of 4 wires (2 black, 1 red, and 1 yellow) coming from the power supply, does it even matter?
Thanks,
RebeccaD

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 12:44:11 PM »
All you need for a CDRom drive is the IDE (light grey ) cable and the Molex (4 pin power) cables for it to run...
The master/slave/CS pins are actually for jumpers not electrical connectors...If you have more than one drive on that IDE cable these tell the machine which drive to look at first...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 02:03:37 PM »
THank you
This reply makes no sense.  In your original post, your basic question was this point: "The P7 connector is a very small one (compared to the other four) and this is the one that I don't know where it plugs in to." 

Buscrew made a logical comment, and then you reply by saying "it's for the CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive".  So, you don't know what it's for, but you do know what it's for.   ::)

Perhaps a basic point about the various power cords coming from a power supply needs to be stated.  That is, power supplies are made to work in a wide variety of computer configurations, or computers with different hardware components.  So, it's not at all uncommon to have one or more unused power cords because they simply aren't needed in a particular computer. 

If that cord is for a floppy drive and you have no floppy drive, then you can just ignore it.

RebeccaD

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 03:27:17 PM »
THank you
This reply makes no sense.  In your original post, your basic question was this point: "The P7 connector is a very small one (compared to the other four) and this is the one that I don't know where it plugs in to." 

Buscrew made a logical comment, and then you reply by saying "it's for the CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive".  So, you don't know what it's for, but you do know what it's for.   ::)

Perhaps a basic point about the various power cords coming from a power supply needs to be stated.  That is, power supplies are made to work in a wide variety of computer configurations, or computers with different hardware components.  So, it's not at all uncommon to have one or more unused power cords because they simply aren't needed in a particular computer. 

If that cord is for a floppy drive and you have no floppy drive, then you can just ignore it.

Wow, soybean!  What's with the attitude?  I just simply asked a question!  Yes, Buscrew DID make a logical comment.  I replied that, no, it was not  the floppy drive, it was the CD/DVD ROM drive. The problem had nothing to do with me know what it was for, it was about WHERE the wires/connectors should be plugged in.  Since, as you reply, that they simply aren't needed, then that answers the question in a nut shell.  Thank you.
Now....I DO have one more question if it's not too much trouble.  
The computer was working fine one morning, and then my husband turned it off.  He went back to it that evening, but it simply would not turn on.  After I tried plugging it in  where my other computer is, to test the power, and it still wouldn't turn on, I opened it up, then plugged it in to test it.  The power button light does turn on, but the button simply will not turn it on.  The information about the power connections came from eMachines.  So...do you have any suggestions about this situation?
Thanks again,
RebeccaD

soybean

Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:15:19 PM »
The problem had nothing to do with me know what it was for, it was about WHERE the wires/connectors should be plugged in. 
Somehow, the distinction here eludes me.

The computer was working fine one morning, and then my husband turned it off.  He went back to it that evening, but it simply would not turn on.  After I tried plugging it in  where my other computer is, to test the power, and it still wouldn't turn on, I opened it up, then plugged it in to test it.  The power button light does turn on, but the button simply will not turn it on.  The information about the power connections came from eMachines.  So...do you have any suggestions about this situation?
Read GX1_MAN's reply (#2) again.   To reiterate what he said, you may have a bad power supply.  The fix is to replace it.