Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! Non working USB no legacy ports! Bootup erro  (Read 3258 times)

reckmann

HELP! Non working USB no legacy ports! Bootup erro
« on: October 18, 2004, 02:39:10 PM »
 ???
Hello Hope anyone can help I might be SOL on this one. tried to install a USB card on a friends Gateway Essential 300SE machine (it is a legacy free XP machine with 5 usb ports for usb mouse and keyboard, small chassis) Well everytime I unplugged to look it and try somethign it would have to redetect the keyboard. I took it methodically I never did get the USB card installed in it (Low-pro 2 port USB adapter). The daughter broke a port in back cause the rear 3 to die. Only the 2 in front worked for me at first. Well As I attempted to add the card and boot it up It had to redetec the keybaord and mouse and it just sat at a screen for me to press a button but would not go on. so i rebooted a few more times still stalled at the same spot so I unplug everything and try again. Instead on no keyboard present I get a CMOS Wrong erro press F1 for setup or f9 to continue. Well without a keyboard youc an't do that. So.... It is all I can do! It will shut off and restart and go that far. It can't boot to a floppy or the XP boot cd nothing. I replaced the battery with a new battery as advised. No change. also no jumper near the battery or BIOS or any place in the limited documentation to reset it. Id love to enable the USB so I could try again and not ruin the machine. What can I do?? Anybody know the way to default or resett he cmos in this machine or a way to get in> can I get a PS/2 card for the keyboard/mouse will Xp recognize it???? please help thanmks

Computer_Commando

Re: HELP! Non working USB no legacy ports! Bootup
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 04:20:22 PM »
...Only the 2 in front worked for me at first...

Keyboard in one of the 2 front ports might work.  Unable to find any info on Gateway website on Gateway Essential 300SE.

merlin_2