Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lexmark X5450 Printer Ink Problem  (Read 2022 times)

keblack

Lexmark X5450 Printer Ink Problem
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:16:23 PM »
Hi,

I bought a Lexmark X5450 all in one printer in February because my all in one HP printer fax feature stopped working.  The printer cartridges for the lexmark are #32 and 33.

I have Windows XP Pro and use Mozilla Firefox most of the time.

My last HP printer cartidges were around $75.00 (black+colour) and I thought that was a lot, but the ink lasted for ages - it seemed to print hundreds of pages.

Anyway, I bought the new printer because the salesman at Future Shop assured me that the ink was not used that much in this new printer.  Boy, was he wrong.  I'm going back there tomorrow to talk with them, but I'm out of luck because they only have a 14 day guarantee with the printer.

Imagine this - I just put in a new black printer cartridge tonight and started printing a 101 page document, in black and white.  I'm at around page 70 now and I just got a "low black ink warning" - it's almost out of ink !  The lexmark cartridges cost around $50.00, but if I use 2 a week, it will cost me a fortune to run it each year.  The HP would have printed 10 or more - 100 page documents.

How can this company get away with this ?  This is nuts !

Is there anything that can be done to make the printer work better, or am I out of luck ?

More importantly, what is the best printer to buy - one where the cartridges last for a long time - inkjet should be fine - just for general printing and copying.  A fax feature would be nice, but it's not necessary.  I'm guessing HP again ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mundesley

Re: Lexmark X5450 Printer Ink Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 06:17:02 AM »
Cartridge numbers 32 & 33 are low yield, for a small premium you can buy cartridge numbers 34 & 35 which are high yield and therefore last longer.