Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cant Seem to Reformat my computer!  (Read 4573 times)

Gambit00

Cant Seem to Reformat my computer!
« on: April 12, 2007, 04:22:14 PM »
im am tryin to reformat my computer using an XP Professional CD.  I boot up my computer with the XP cd inside. Everything goes as normal as it boots inton the Windows Setup Screen.  it starts loading all the neccessary files so that it can start the windows setup but then it gets stuck at the "Setup is Starting window" line and it never goes in to the option where I can press Enter to enter setup then press F8 that i understands TOS.  I repeat this process many times and it freezing at the same screen.  Rarely if i get lucky it goes to the Press Enter screen to continue setup  but pressin enter wont do any good as in it freezes at that point.   I have tried to see if this was a CD problem or a hard drive problem by takin my hard drive and the XP CD to my friends house and tried to reformat my computer there.  Everything went smoothly as a normal reformat.   So i took the hard drive home hoping that just by stickin it in to my computer it will load up the OS.  now im getting the error message Missing NTDLR press CTR+ ALT+ DEL to restart.  then i tried to reformat my computer again and the same problem arises as it freezes at the "Setup is Starting Window" line.  Any help would be appecriated.. Im concluding that something is wrong with my BIOs but i need some advice. thanks alot!

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Cant Seem to Reformat my computer!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 05:06:47 PM »
I think your Cd drive is having trouble reading your
Cd but, your friends can read the CD.

Do you have another Install disk you can try?
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

mrgandrews

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 05:16:15 PM »
make sure  all the usb external drives (if any) etc are removed and try again.  Or Buy another hard drive  they are cheap now

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Im concluding that something is wrong with my BIOs but i need some advice. thanks alot!

Why are you concluding this?

Gambit00

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 06:28:08 PM »
i dont really know.. im just assumin this since i cant find anything that is wrong with it...btw i didnt change anything in the bios if thats wat ur assuming.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 06:34:51 PM »
Well, it would certainly be the last on my list of assumptions.

Is the drive seen correctly in the BIOS? If so, download and run the free diagnostics from the appropriate hard drive maker's site. Then post back.  ;)

Gambit00

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 06:45:10 PM »
hmm the bios is report out the drive to be 200.1gb with the right info ... i went to western digital site to download its Life Guard v11.2 tool  and burnt it to a cd and ran it on my "broken" computer it boot up a couple line then it said Physical media error then it gives me a command line X:\> like to a dos line but with an X

anyways like i said i did try this hard drive at my friends house with the same xp cd and it worked fine so cant be the hard drive

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 07:24:40 PM »
Then try the SeaTools from the Seagate site and try that. I am assuming it is jumpered correctly?

If it fails 2 different diagnostics I would have NO faith in that drive.

ace1

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 02:36:48 PM »
the hard drive checks out and reformats at friends house ...The only thing I would suggest is that the drive that you run your cd on is having to much problems reading the disk ....If possible try using a different disc drive and see if a different one on that computer will read the disk....and make it continue the set up.....

so try a different disc drive for reading the disk  :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 02:44:13 PM »
If it's an XP CD without the shiny holograms and MS splattered all over it this might be the issue...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "