Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting Jumpers+ ??  (Read 2043 times)

Peema

Setting Jumpers+ ??
« on: April 13, 2007, 07:26:08 AM »
I have aquired a Maxtor 256 10gb Hard Drive. It has Mandrake 10.1 on it and I have no access to it's passwords. What I want to do is wipe it clean and put a different operating system on it but I can't get my windows 98 to recognise it. I'm obviously new at this stuff but I'm willing to learn. Any thoughts would be most helpful. Thank You!

phoenix910

Hopeful

Re: Setting Jumpers+ ??
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 07:44:12 AM »
    Judging by the question in your title, I'm assuming that you wish to know more about the jumpers. I'll get to that in a sec. You say windows 98 cannot recognise the drive? Do you definitely mean Windows 98, or do you mean the BIOS on a windows 98 computer? If it is windows itself that will not recognise the drive, that just means that you will have to go into Control Panel > Device Manager (or 98 equivalent) and format the HDD from there. If this is a BIOS issue, you will know from when you start your computer up. It will say detecting Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master, Secondary Slave. Your main Hard drive with windows on it should be primary master, and this hard drive you want to format should be the primary slave. To do this, make sure the main hard drive with windows is set to cable select (otherwise there could be conflicts), and placed on the last possible connection on the IDE cable inside the computer. That second drive that you want to format should be on the second/middle connection of this cable, also set to Cable Select. Your BIOS should then detect both drives. If that gives you trouble, make your Main HDD the 'master', and the new Hard Drive 'Slave', on the jumper pins. You can then format the new hard drive with either windows, or a boot disk. Hope that helps.

Peema

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 03:24:05 AM »
    Thank You. My issue was in the BIOS. Made the changes and it worked. Regards!

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 06:57:20 PM »
      No problems.