Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: external hard drive  (Read 3953 times)

becca

external hard drive
« on: October 18, 2004, 10:40:33 PM »
will ask this question one more time. I have an external hard drive i would like to know if i can put an os on it and run games from it as the games i am playing now take up an enormus space on my computer hard drive i WILL NOT  moving the external hard drive any where it stay put on this computer all the time  and all i really want to know is can it be done and how.
thanks becca

Raptor

Re: external hard drive
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 11:06:40 PM »
The nerves.... ::)

How about TRYING it yourself if you're so EAGER to find out?

becca

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 02:14:38 PM »
you know some times you are not very nice! >:(

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 03:26:49 PM »
you can of course put an o/s on any storage device that is capable of the install disk....info>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309000  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 03:27:48 PM by merlin_2 »

becca

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 03:24:17 PM »
thank you Merlin but you see i am  not computer smart and i dont KNOW if i can or not. this is what i am trying to find out i have a dell 2350  and i am eating up my hard drive space with pc games and i just want to find out if it can be done and how i have a western digital 160 gb external hard drive and would like to use it for games and such.

thanks any way
becca

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 03:32:12 PM »
You can run programs from an external HDD, just donot expect them to remember wheter they're registered or not. They cannot create registy entries, it seems, so they will not hold that sort of information. You can save files you are working on. I donot know if you can set personal preferences, shoul you want to.

I have a photo editing program I use during my study, it seems like it's forever in Trial mode due to it being on my external HDD..

Joleen

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 05:32:17 AM »
1) You could try it.

2) I don't think it's a good idea and I have no idea why you'd want to do it in the first place, you wouldn't be able to just boot from it to any ol' computer.  The registry would have a fit sorting out your hardware every time.

3) Create a partition on the main drive and put your games there.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 05:33:20 AM by Joleen »

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 07:12:50 AM »
I believe USB drives cannot turn on before Windows is booted.

Unless it has it's own power supply. In which case you could have bought yourself an internal disk and saved yourself a lot of money and hassle.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 07:13:48 AM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 02:02:17 PM »
or you could do this >http://www.download.com/1200-2001-997641.html  and more info on how to boot a usb hard drive if you need to>http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 03:34:54 PM by merlin_2 »