Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I have 2 Hard drives with 2 different OS?  (Read 2367 times)

bothofus

Can I have 2 Hard drives with 2 different OS?
« on: April 14, 2007, 08:57:49 AM »
I currently have 98SE and have a LOT of programs that I use on it.  Can I install another hard drive and put XP on it for all the new programs that require XP?    Can you just pick which one you want to use?

Raptor

Re: Can I have 2 Hard drives with 2 different OS?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 09:11:17 AM »
A lot of programs you currently use under Windows 98Se are bound to work under Windows XP as well.

But yes, it is possible to create a dual boot. It is very easy, actually. Just installing Windows XP on the other HDD should be enough.

Computerhope.com articles are a bit outdated, but this should be helpful: DUAL BOOT WINDOWS 95/98 WITH WINDOWS NT/2000

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Can I have 2 Hard drives with 2 different OS?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 02:05:09 PM »
Can you just pick which one you want to use?
Yes.  A panel will appear soon after you start your computer where you can pick the OS you want to boot.  One of the OS will be set a default.  If you do not respond at the aforementioned panel, the default OS will load after a pause for a certain number of seconds.  You can change which OS is the default one.  And, you can change the length of that pause.