Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: annoying pop-up on logon - Vista  (Read 4740 times)

mylogon

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
    • Coundon Computers
  • Experience: Familiar
annoying pop-up on logon - Vista
« on: April 12, 2007, 11:28:31 PM »
With Vista Ultimate, I log on and after everything loads it pops up with Internet Explorer, with the address 'Http:///' already in the bar. It does this everytime I log on and is starting to get rather annoying. I tried looking in the 'Startup' menu, but there's nothing there. So I went into the 'Run>Msconfig' menu, and nowhere in the 'Startup' tab is there anything to do with IE.
I'm not sure what started it, but it just started one day.
I'm suspecting that it could be a virus of some kind, but I don't have a virus scanner (as stupid as it sounds - I just haven't gotten around to it)
If anyone suggests it sounds like a virus they've encountered before etc, then I'll make an effort to install one. (I will eventually... I'm sure I will ::))
Thanks,
Luke
"Give thanks upon thou who help thee the most on computerhope" - Shakespeare

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

Re: annoying pop-up on logon - Vista
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:42:17 PM »
    There are many free antiviruses around.

The best free one is avg.
    Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 07:58:49 AM »
    It is not a virus...look for the "autocomplete" option in IE and disable it if you wish...

Note: You will now get to type in http:// each time you want to enter a web address.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 06:53:12 PM »
    I'm suspecting that it could be a virus of some kind, but I don't have a virus scanner (as stupid as it sounds - I just haven't gotten around to it)

You said it, so I will concur. It is just stupid to operate a computer without an antivirus. If you can pay $400 for Vista ultimate, you can probably afford a free antivirus. AVG works just fine.  ;)