Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deleted necessary files from PC - system won't boot  (Read 2293 times)

ACA

Deleted necessary files from PC - system won't boot
« on: April 15, 2007, 05:18:08 AM »
Last night I deleted what I thought were redundant files on my desk-top. This morning, every time I tried to switch on the system I get an error msg
NTLDR missing
Press ctrl alt delete to restart
I've had a mooch on computerhope.com and figured out it most likely the BIOS that I've managed to upset! The question is how do I put it right, I have an Intel (R0 Celeron (R) D CPU 2.93 GHz and it uses AMIBIOS Version 08.00.09, BIOS ver 160

Should I just take it to PC world or similar and see can they fix it? I use the computer for my job and have a lot of information on it that I wouldn't be able to replace :-[

tomshope

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: Deleted necessary files from PC - system won't boot
    « Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 05:28:35 AM »

tomshope

Intermediate
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 05:34:46 AM »
      also, you might try Last known Good Configuration

To start your computer using the Last Known Good Configuration that your computer has on record, simply start up your computer like normal and when you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message come up, hit the F8 key on your keyboard. Next, the Windows Advanced Options menu will appear and you can use your keyboard's arrow keys to scroll down to the "Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)" option. Once you've got it highlighted, press Enter.

Your computer will then boot up successfully and you'll be able to look into what caused the problem in the first place. Now, keep in mind that the Last Known Good Configuration feature does not automatically fix the problems you were having. It will only get your computer started so you can troubleshoot the rest of the problem on your own. Either way, it's an easy way to combat your computer startup troubles.

ACA

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 05:42:05 AM »
      Thanx for your replies,
      Tomshope - When I turn on the computer, I get the error msg, I then do ctrl alt del to restart and an Intel screen comes up with 3 options:- esc - to switch, F2 bios setup, F8 to boot. I've pushed F8 and now have 'please select boot device' with 4 options available.

How do I get the machine to give me operating systems list instead?

Raptor