Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Base System Device  (Read 2780 times)

Base System Device
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:52:13 AM »
I have a HP 4050N printer and recently purchased a USB to parallel cable so I could use it with my current Dell Inspiron 1505 laptop running on MS XP Pro that does not have a parallel port.  It worked fine for several weeks, but then I started traveling and would unplug the printer when I took the computer with me then plug it back in when I returned.

Then I began getting a message when I booted that there were three unknown base system devices to install.  I wasn’t sure what they were so I did not install them.  Gradually the printer became intermittent and finally it will not print at all.

When I went to the device manager the base system devices show up with a question mark in yellow.

When I went to Printers and Faxes in the control panel I find four HP4050N icons that I did not install (I assume they self-installed each time I tried a different USB port).

Any advice on how to make my printer work again?

Raptor

Re: Base System Device
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 12:12:58 PM »
Uninstall all device manager references to the printer and uninstall the drivers as well. Obtain the latest drivers from the printer manufacturer its website and then reinstall according to their instructions.

By the way, if you disconnect the printer, reconnect it to the same USB port it was in before otherwise Windows will treat it as a new device and at one point, this will cause confusion. As you have noticed.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 01:17:18 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate your help.  I'll let you know how it works.

Jerry Lassiter

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 01:22:25 PM »
Jerry you might want to select another user name also so the spambots don't bury you in junk mail...

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 01:23:39 PM »
Offers for *censored*, fake Rollex watches and special financial opportunities from Nigeria are coming your way already!  :o

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 02:19:06 PM »
With a free coupon to enter the United Status electoral process if you pre-order now!

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 06:50:13 PM »
Jerry;
How exactly did you post as a guest on ComputerHope?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 07:01:29 PM »
And why did Jerry Lassiter aka jplfly aka [email protected] report my post as spam (to me)?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 07:14:15 PM »
And why did Jerry Lassiter aka jplfly aka [email protected] report my post as spam (to me)?
I bet you can guess why

You might want to remove that address from your post, GX1.... even though SPAM is coming his way...

"Re: Reported Post
We are unable to identify why you reported this post as "Spam" "

jplfly

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 07:38:50 PM »
Thanks for the heads up everyone.  Sorry for the confusion.  I'm a bit new at this (daaaa) so I am not quite used to the humor and syntax.

Frankly, I don't know how to undo what has been done because the profile administration won't allow me to remove my post or change my user name or contact.  That is why I canceled that login and set up another.  But that obviously didn't work either.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 10:35:12 PM »
Ok... trying to come up with a creative way to merge the first two posts with the email address, then have the first post direct to the information post... without causing too much damage...
jplfly, may I merge your posts?

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 04:41:23 AM »
Offers for *censored*, fake Rollex watches and special financial opportunities from Nigeria are coming your way already!  :o

Please note the difference between humor and spam, Jerry.  ::)