Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Registry Limit, even after running registry cleaner  (Read 3222 times)

Jaegan

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Registry Limit, even after running registry cleaner
    « on: April 17, 2007, 03:49:02 PM »
    On startup, I receive the following Error message.

"System has reached the maximum size allowed for the system part of the
    registry. Additional storage requests will be ignored."

Having had resgistry issues before, I ran a number o registry cleaners to try and fix the problem. A number of errors were removed. Unfortunately, the error messages persist, and my registry size is still what it was.

My registry size (as found under Windows/System32/Config/Config is 192 megabytes. From what I have heard, this is an inordinate registry size. I did fresh reinstall about two months ago, so I don't think this is a build up problem. In fact, I never had this problem previously, even after running the computer for one year and a half before reinstalling.

I am really in the dark as to what to do here. I am not sure what information would be relevant in this case, but I will note that I am using an nForce chipset, since I read some posts regarding old nForce sets and registry problems

Thanks in advance,

Jaegan

Final Note: Registry Mechanic reveals 991 errors in my temp files/shortcut area. All of them are under system volume information / restore.  Removing some restore points removed the errors, but the registry size remains the same.
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:23:42 PM by Jaegan »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Jaegan

Topic Starter

Rookie
      Re: Registry Limit, even after running registry cleaner
      « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 03:26:12 AM »
      Yup, and half  a dozen others. Still no luck. I think it has to with windows restore points somehow, but I can't quite figure it out...

ackmanx

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 04:16:04 AM »
      Yup, and half  a dozen others. Still no luck. I think it has to with windows restore points somehow, but I can't quite figure it out...

I know this is an obvious question, but have you disabled windows restore points to check that?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 05:48:32 AM »
      Maximum size allowed for the registry? I very much doubt that is a legitimate error..

So I got curious and googled:

From the Help file on Win2000 Pro:

"To change the maximum size of the computer's registry

Open System in Control Panel.
      On the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, and under Virtual memory, click Change.
      Under Registry size, type a new registry size in megabytes in the Maximum registry size (MB) box.
      Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator to the local computer to change the registry size.
      To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.
      Setting a maximum size for the registry sets an upper limit on how large the area designated for registry data can become. You might need to increase the maximum registry size if the amount of registry data produced by programs exceeds the limit you set under Registry size."

Source

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:12:52 AM »
      Maximum size allowed for the registry? I very much doubt that is a legitimate error..

So I got curious and googled:

From the Help file on Win2000 Pro:

"To change the maximum size of the computer's registry

Open System in Control Panel.
      On the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, and under Virtual memory, click Change.
      Under Registry size, type a new registry size in megabytes in the Maximum registry size (MB) box.
      Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator to the local computer to change the registry size.
      To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.
      Setting a maximum size for the registry sets an upper limit on how large the area designated for registry data can become. You might need to increase the maximum registry size if the amount of registry data produced by programs exceeds the limit you set under Registry size."

Source
      Jaegan never mentioned Win 2K; more likely, he's using Win XP, wouldn't you agree?

In Win XP, there is no "Performance Options" button.  There is a Settings button under Performance.  This leads to another panel named Performance Options.  Clicking the Advanced tab there shows "Change" button which opens a panel where virtual memory can be set.  None of these screens say anything about the Registry.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:29:01 AM »
      No, I would not agree. Considering this is the first google search I ran into and it seemed to fit his problem I'd say it's Windows 2000 as I've never heard of this problem happening to Windows XP and more people use XP than 2k so the problem would have come up earlier on if it were an XP problem.

Logic demands, truly.

Jaegan

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 08:42:33 AM »
        I suppose I could have saved everyone some grief by stating my OS in the original post.

I am indeed running Windows XP. I have already disabled Windows Restore Points, which is just as well because when I tried restoring to previous states to fix the problem the restores failed.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 09:01:02 AM »
        I think you should download NTRegOpt and run it.