Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player11 disappeared after latest Win Auto Update allowed.  (Read 2612 times)

jjeffrey1

WinXP SP2, 1Ghz clock spd, 1GIG Ram, 60G HD <20%filled, Running WM Player11.
All has been up and running without a hitch for months until 2hrs ago when in the middle of late nite working the Windows Automatic Update gave an announcement window saying there were new windows updates ready. Sadly without thinking I just said yes and hit the button. I noticed right away that the new update was only related to Windows Media Player 11.
I went back to work but once the download was completed the pc needed to be restarted and once this was done there was no use of the WMplayer11.
The WMP icon on the desktop has disappeared and
whenever i try to view a windows media file it gives me an Windows Media
Dialog box with an error msg gives a yellow triangle with an
exclamation point and an error msg "An internal Application Error has occured" with an "OK" Button.
Pushing the "OK" button just makes the dialog box go away.

We have followed the Microsoft instructions on "Rolling Back" to the previous version of the player thinking this was the "Right" thing to do to get the WMP backand it went through this successfully ( after several attempts ) until the very end when it gives an Error C00DZAFB general error. ( It then suggests that some other internal application could be at fault ). We thought possibly the Zone Alarm Pro firewall.
We have turned our firewall off and all other open apps off as well and then attempted to re-install WMP10 which we prefer only to get the same
result - an error msg saying > "Cannot complete WMP10 Set-Up. It was not possible to complete set up. For more assistance click Web Help button. Restart windows and then run WMP set up again" We have done this multiple times for both WMP10 ( which we prefer to keep using ) & WMP11 with the same unacceptible results for both.

Can someone PLEASE help us get WMP going again???
What can we do to get the WMP to work again????
We dont have it working at all now and we need help with this.

Thank you so very much!     :'(

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
What antivirus protection do you have installed, running, and updated on your computer?

By "Roll Back" you mean "System Restore", right?
If you havent tried system restore yet, see a document here about it:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000589.htm

Have you tried uninstalling Windows Media Player all together and then installing it again?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology=
I reccomend downloading 10, then upgrading to 11.

jjeffrey1

Thank you for the "RE" Zylstra.

We are running AVG free edition fully upated as our anti-virus software and have been very happy with it linked with Zone Alarm Pro firewall. They seem to work very well together so far. We also have Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot Search & Destroy, ccCleaner, & Edweido on hand to occassionally use as necessary.

Sorry for the confusion about the "Roll-Back". My fault as I was not clear enough about this.

I do not mean "System Restore" NO. We have NOT done a sytem restore and reallly do not want to.

What I am refering to is the option that is given during the downloading of WMplayer that gives the option if something goes wrong with the install to go back to the previous WMplayer that was installed. This is called WMPlayer "Roll-Back". see windows link below>

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/10/readme.aspx#Rollback

Yes we have tried uninstalling WMPlayer 10. We follwed Control Pnl/ Add Remove programs/ Change or Remove Programs ( with "show updates" checked ) but we do not find either WMPlayer10 or WMPlayer 11 listed. We DO find "Windows Media Player format 11 runtime" listed and one othe called " Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB911565) BUT THAT IS ALL OF ANYTHING RELATED TO wmpLAYER LISTED. When trying to uninstall... it can't uninstall what it cant find.

Zystra...It is as if, when it went to do the windows auto update for WMPlayer11 it ran into the firewall somehow and only partially installed/eliminated WMP11 somehow removed the WMP app leaving only a few remaining pcs & now when you go back to either uninstall it or download a new copy it can't find the WMP App.
Again the error msg during uninstall or download of new version says "UNABLE TO COMPLETE WMP## SET-UP. RESTART WINDOWS THEN RUN WMP SET-UP AGAIN. Gives error code "c00dzafb & 80070005". When I try to open a WMP file it gives an immediate dialog box saying "AN INTERNAL APPLICATION ERROR HAS OCCURED" WITH THE OK BUTTON ( which, when clicked, only closes the box ).

I read the link you refered to about system restore. Can you explain why I might want to do a System Restore and what would happen if i just re-installed windows XP???

Thankx 4 your fine help
jer 29:11 ;)

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
System Restore should be able to undo the installation of the Windows update procedure, so that you can try again.
It wont remove any other applications, or remove any of your saved documents.

Reinstalling XP can fix some problems as well, but System Restore might be a better thing to try first, since reinstalling XP will take time, and some of your settings will be lost.

jjeffrey1

Thank u again Zylstra.

I appreciate the kind and in depth explanation.

Sounds like I am doing the System Restore tomorrow ( argh I guess i mean a little later on TODAY as i just looked at the time.) whewie!. :-\ where does time go to?

Anyway I will report back to you with the results after performing the System Restore. We hope this helps.

Thank u again!

jjeffrey1