Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE6  (Read 7120 times)

amiga

IE6
« on: October 19, 2004, 02:26:59 PM »
Hi
I'm not sure how this happened but, I have the IE icon now on programs such as Microsoft Word, Publisher, new office document.  The IE icon is over each of the icons.  Does anyone know how this happened or how to fix it????

Amiga

merlin_2

Re: IE6
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 03:01:10 PM »
go to the add/remove programs and click on internet explorer 6...a splash screen will appear chose the repair option... <i use to have one of those amiga 1200?>
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 03:02:10 PM by merlin_2 »

amiga

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 08:41:26 PM »
I tried to repair IE6 but this didn't solve the problem of the IE icons on top of the other icons.  Any other ideas?

Amiga

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 11:07:25 PM »
    amiga.....Is it the icons on your desktop your talking about..? What operating system are you using .....Have you tried going to your desktop and right clicking on any of the icons you wish to change and click properties .....now click on Change Icon button and choose the one you want .

let us know if this helps you

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 11:09:20 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

amiga

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 06:25:36 AM »
    Yes, these are desktop shortcuts to programs/games.  I did try properties and the correct icon is there but this didn't change.  The system is ME.  Thanks.

Amiga

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 08:28:08 AM »
    either try a system restore or type this comand after the msdos prompt   scanreg/restore or check the internet options   tools/internet options/programs and see if its set to word...

amiga

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 12:55:21 PM »
     :-/  I've spoken to the individual who was using the computer when the problem with ie6 icons over most of my programs on the desktop (I discovered that these ie icons show wherever the program icon was throughout the system)  Anyway, he said that he clicked on to play a real arcade game called:  Super Bounce out.  It always starts the internet connection screen.  He clicked cancel on the connection screen and the screen went dark.  When he restarted, these ie icons were on top of  desktop programs icons.

I did not try to restore because I wasn't sure if the work previously would be lost.

Amiga

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 12:56:47 PM »
    he said that he clicked on to play a real arcade game called:  Super Bounce out.

Sounds dodgy,

have you scanned for viruses, spyware and trojans?

Do the programs still work properly when you click on them?

amiga

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 08:16:46 PM »
    Yes, I did scan for viruses, trojans, and worms.  The programs seems to work EXCEPT that when I save to disk, word documents ususally, when I try to access them I get something like the source isn't recognized or to check permission or something like this.  Is the problem with the floppy drive related?  Twice the icons switched from the ie6 icon to a question mark.

Amiga

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 04:03:04 AM »
    What OS are you using?

amiga

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 06:26:21 AM »
    Microsoft ME is the operating system.

Amiga

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 07:45:30 AM »
    When has your problem first occured?

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 11:41:12 AM »
    Amiga < or i have re enlighten my other braincell enigma> uninstall ie 6 winme hates it....trust me on this one ....i also also have winme a real o/s not like you know who...a clue x

amiga

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 11:40:02 AM »
    I deleted IE 6 (add remove)  However, it did not remove itself.  I tried to restore but it wouldn't do that either - it seemed to freeze midway.  If I had the xp home edition cd, I think I would try to reinstall but I wasn't given the cd with the computer.  Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.  It did begin with the game from real arcade as stated above.  Bouce out or something like that.  
    If there are other suggestions - please pass them along.

Thanks
    Amiga

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 01:01:18 PM »
    I'd format, reinstall Windows and take proper precautions this time.