Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gateway Restoration Kit Problems  (Read 6167 times)

Chad S. Thain

Gateway Restoration Kit Problems
« on: October 19, 2004, 03:05:14 PM »
Hello,

First off, I should make it known I e-mailed Gateway Tech Support; however, they were not helpful at all.  And I'm not wanting to pay 1.95 a minute to call them.

I have a Gateway 500GR, 3.2Ghz HT with 1GB of RAM, and a 200GB HDD.  I decided I wanted to rid the computer of the programs that had been put on it buy the store I purchased it from (It was the demo model I bought), so I decided to perform a full restore of the computer.  I have three CDs, a Drivers CD, an Applications CD, and an OS CD.  The restore starts with the Drivers CD - this CD allows me to format and fdisk the harddrive.  Then I insert the OS CD to begin installing Windows XP.  Now here is where the problems begin.  Once the OS is installed, it will ask for the Drivers CD - load some drivers, then the Applications CD - load some applications.  However, when I insert the Drivers CD (Or the Applications CD for that matter), all I get is a 'Gateway Restoration Kit' image on screen, and a small box opening and closing to the right of the text.  Nothing else.  The computer is not frozen, and I can enter the Task Manager and end the process.  What's more... is without the drivers from that CD - I can't seem to connect to the internet.

When I go into the Device Manager, and look under 'Other Devices' I have the following with question marks (Apparently without drivers): Ethernet Controller, PCI Device, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, Universal Serial Bus Controller, and Video Controller.

So... I can't even seem to connect to the internet to download these drivers, and have no idea which ones they are off the Driver CD.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Gateway Restoration Kit Problems
    « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 03:26:01 PM »
    Chad S. Thain......What about going back to the store you bought it from......They should be able to assist you I would think. In hindsite , you would have been better off removing the programs using the add/remove function . I will never understand why these companies use that multidisk crap......It saves them a few dollars in license fees......but creates a nightmare for the buyers.
    Perhaps one of our members who uses this system can offer you some assistance.

Good luck ....

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

Re: Gateway Restoration Kit Problems
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 10:33:47 AM »
    You donot require Fdisk for Windows XP.

merlin_2