Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Drive Stuck in Read Only  (Read 2168 times)

gpooj

Drive Stuck in Read Only
« on: April 18, 2007, 12:01:42 PM »
Here's my story:
My old hard drive died, gone, so, I got a new one. Now, I had a second hard drive (for storage) which didn't break (because it was only like a month or so old). So, I left that secondary hard drive in the computer, with the new one as the master.

So, now I have this weird problem. That secondary hard drive won't let me write to it. I can read from it fine, but it never lets me write to it. I tried setting the permissions on the highest level folders on the drive to apply the settings downward, and it appears to be setting the attributes properly, but it still won't let me write.

I have no idea what's going on here. Anyone have an idea as to what's up?

Raptor

Re: Drive Stuck in Read Only
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 12:13:44 PM »
What OS is installed on the 'storage' HDD? Did you reformat it before using it?

gpooj

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 12:19:52 PM »
There is no OS on the storage HDD, it is just one big NTFS partition of pictures, documents, and stuff. I didn't reformat it before using it.

I just realized something though. The problem is just with one of the high level folders. Now, that particular folder was created with BartPE when I was backing up the dying hard drive. I suppose that's the problem, but how do I fix that?

Thank you for replying.  :)

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 12:22:07 PM »
What if you copy all the files to the first HDD, reformat the second and then copy 'm back?

This is the first time I heard of BartPE so I can't say anything about that.

gpooj

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 12:25:14 PM »
I suppose I could try that.

BartPE is a bootCD utility that lets you do  basic things like file management and run checkdisk.

Thanks for the help!  :)