Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not boot off a cd  (Read 9608 times)

hndaklr8480

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer will not boot off a cd
    « on: April 18, 2007, 06:50:30 PM »
    hello computer world.   I am trying to install linux on my computer.  I have been to many web sites that say just download the iso, burn to disk, put it in your computer and it will boot and start installing.  Well my computer will not boot the disk,  it just boots up windows.  Now I have not changed the boot order in the bios because when I turn on the computer,  there is no option that lets me access the bios menu,  usually it will say press F2 or something for setup,  but i get nothing.  So i would greatly appriciate any ideas.

GX1_Man

Re: Computer will not boot off a cd
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 07:38:27 PM »
    Did you burn the ISO with Nero or some other burning program? If you just copy the ISO file you downloaded to a CD that is not bootable.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »
    Well, message to enter the BIOS or not, you're going to have to find the right key [sequence]. I suggest reading the mainboard manual or just pressing common keys such as F12, F10, F2, del...

hndaklr8480

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 09:10:16 AM »
      thanx for the help

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
      Still waiting for an answer...

contrex

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 01:55:30 PM »
      Still waiting for an answer...

Reckon this is what did it?

If you just copy the ISO file you downloaded to a CD that is not bootable.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 02:14:21 PM »
      At this point we just don't know.

contrex

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 02:22:38 PM »
      A lot of people just never come back on this forum, don't they? I post on AfterDawn as well, and it's the same story there.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 04:20:43 PM »
      Alien abductions are on the rise, and it is a serious problem.

(Thanks, Patio,  ;))

hndaklr8480

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 06:23:23 PM »
        Now Now,  I am just busy my friends I am trying to learn a lot of  things at once and have just now installed nero and now I will give it a shot and see if it work.  I will keep you updated.   Do I just burn the image through nero or is there some sort of setting that has to be set?

hndaklr8480

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 06:30:24 PM »
          Ok fellas i burned it with Nero and it didn't work  :-\ I will keep trying and checking back here to see brain storms work out

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 05:23:12 AM »
          Use "burn as ISO". Again, just burning the file will not do it.  ;)

hndaklr8480

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 08:12:41 PM »
            break through people.  The computer booted the cd but I know experiance a new problem.  The command prompt comes up.  So I take a look to see what is in the directory.  wwbmu.exe, readme.txt,dconfig.sys, and a autodos7.bat.   So i run the .exe file.  Looks like the linux install but it is all in german or something.  So is there a way to change the language or what did i do wrong.  Or do you think that it might be the mirror i downloaded from?  Right now i am downloading again but this time i made sure it was from north america. 

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 08:21:35 PM »
            What version of Linux are you trying to install? You should choose Ubuntu, it comes with a very easy installer. Looks almost like Windows 2000/XP.

hndaklr8480

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 08:31:52 PM »
              jackpot, after some exstensive research that is the version I pick looked like a good learning curve.  So that is why I am a little confused because it told me that a screen would pop asking what language i wanted and I would be able to go from there.  But if that was the case it would have been way to easy for my first linux install. Only one thing to do and that is keep trouble shooting.