Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: .htm and .html icons broken & missing windows font  (Read 3569 times)

ackmanx

.htm and .html icons broken & missing windows font
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:08:49 AM »
Hello!

I have two small and annoying problems.

1) I do not know why but icons for .htm and .html files do not display properly. They have been replaced with the default windows icon for a .exe file. If I go to "File Types" in Folder Options and click on "Advanced" for the .htm or .html file type it shows the correct icon and lets me change it. Still though, in Explorer it is always shown as the default .exe icon. Any ideas? I can't seem to find any information on this other than "Call Microsoft" which costs money.

2) I deleted the Wingdings font because I have never used it. Afterwards I read that it should not be deleted. Is there any way I can get that back without having the Windows XP CD? I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 and my "restore cd" is actually a hidden partition accessible only through the BIOS. There's no option to browse the contents but only reformat my hard drive to restore everything. All I want is the simple windows default fonts for download but those seem to be impossible to find. I guess if all else fails I will have to find a different computer to copy them from.

Thanks for any help!

PS. I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP2.

Brummie

Re: .htm and .html icons broken & missing windows font
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 04:15:29 AM »
1. It would seem that all is fine except that the shortcuts on your desktop have broken links and are pointing somewhere and the files have been moved or deleted. Right click the icons on the desktop and choose properties. Click the find target button and i presume it cannot locate the files. Either over-key the correct path into the "target" text box or delete the shortcuts and go to the files and right click them and "send to" "desktop create shortcut" once again.

2. I have uploaded Wingding font from my xp machine, grab it here http://www.moktar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wingding.ttf and make sure it goes into C:\windows\fonts folder

ackmanx

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 04:17:51 AM »
1. It would seem that all is fine except that the shortcuts on your desktop have broken links and are pointing somewhere and the files have been moved or deleted. Right click the icons on the desktop and choose properties. Click the find target button and i presume it cannot locate the files. Either over-key the correct path into the "target" text box or delete the shortcuts and go to the files and right click them and "send to" "desktop create shortcut" once again.

Unfortunately these are not shortcuts. They are actual .htm files located all over my computer. I have my website stored locally and every .htm and .html file has this icon error.

Brummie

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 04:28:23 AM »
Do the following ignoring the "";
Click start and choose "Run"...type in "notepad"
Type the Word Hello in notepad and click File...save as.
At the top click the drag down box and select desktop. Overkey the filename from *.txt to "Hello.html" and click the save button and close notepad.
On your desktop double-click the new file called Hello.html, if its not called hello.html, right click it and rename it so it does.

Does it fail to open up internet explorer and say hello on the page? Or is this problem merely the icon only and the file association works fine?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 05:03:56 AM by Brummie »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 05:48:02 AM »
Scan for viruses and spyware.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 04:00:37 PM »
Open Explorer ( not IE )...go to tools/folder options and select file types.

Scroll down til you see the HTML listing and select what program you want to open it with...click apply and that should do it.

For issue #2 you will probably need an official XP CD. Removing system fonts can cause all kinds of havoc.

The Mothership's site has a listing for fonts neccessary for the system to operate properly. Why wingdings is one of these i have no earthly idea...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "