Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: belkin wireless problems  (Read 9322 times)

billiusthemook

belkin wireless problems
« on: October 19, 2004, 08:47:41 PM »
i own a belkin wireless router model # F5D7230-4 and a 802.11g wireless desktop network card model #F5D7000.  both are labeled as 54g.

The computer i am using now is running on microsoft xp.  It once was directly connected to a linksys ethernet router.  NO LONGER IS THIS CARD EVEN POWERED, LET ALONE CONNECTED.

Both old and new routers are connected to a dsl line.  When this pc was connected to the old router and when it was directly connected to the belkin, it ran at a consistent connection speed of 100Mbps.

After I went wireless with it, problems began to arise.

When it lists the available wireless connections, it lists constantly linksys and occasionally belkin54g.  When it runs on the linksys connection, it gives the old router's ip address as the gateway.  It tells me the signal strength is very good or excellent and then it runs at 11Mbps.  I'm not sure what I did, but I tampered with several different settings for the different connections and connection properties I have so that Belkin became available to connect to.

Now that I have it connected to the belkin router, it runs on a very low signal and a speed of 1 to 2 Mbps.  It also will occasionally disconnect altogether, where I will be forced to wait several minutes till it reconnects.  Sometimes it becomes diconnected for hours at a time, at which point I will access the router with another computer and change the channel it uses and it may reconnect.

Now when it lists the available networks connections when belkin is down it gives me linksys, but even if I select it it won't connect me and it will go on as if I hadn't done anything.

Please help me.  I want to connect to the belkin54g but I also want a consistent and high speed connection.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: belkin wireless problems
    « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 10:45:30 PM »
    billiusthemook......Is your network card recognized and are its drivers installed ?.....Do you have two network cards in that pc now or just the wireless card ?
    Did you get all the viruses removed ? Do you have all the latest Microsoft updates ?

Please let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

billiusthemook

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 11:07:51 PM »
    the network card is recognized and all it's drivers are installed, and it is the only network card in the pc.

i haven't replied to the other problem's post yet because with this connection problem I cannot download the avg program you listed.  Ijust need to get the connection problem settled then I can download that program and then run symantect and then download the windows xp sp2.

N.B.: this connection problem has been going on since before the virus activated.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 11:19:16 PM »
      billiusthemook.....I have just been going back over some of your posts.....re your connection speed ......because if your actually getting a download  of 2mgs /sec that's fast....I also have a DSL connection and my download speed is........( tested many times 1 mg downloads in 5.8 seconds ).   Please let me know if I read your post incorrectly.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 11:19:46 PM by dl65 »

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 09:00:00 AM »
      best advice is to remove all devices from the device manager and save your settings on disk or paper and re-boot and start again...load the software first then install the hardware...

billiusthemook

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 02:33:24 PM »
      when I click on the small icon with two pc monitors overlapping each other, which represents my current connection, it tells me I'm at a speed of 1 Mbps (sometimes 5.5 for short periods).  When I go to download anything it runs at a crawl and eventually it stops downloading.  I'm pretty sure this download problem has been happening before the virus.  Anyway, before when it was connected directly to the router, it reported a speed of 100 Mbps.

It won't let me download the avg program you gave me; it will get to 24% in less than a second, but then it stops and remains there until I lose my connection again.  I've tried downloading it when my connection is reported as 1Mbps, 5.5Mbps, and 11Mbps, but they're all the same.

As for uninstalling and removing the hardware and then reinstalling the entire situation... I've done so twice, both times correctly, and nothing has changed.

billiusthemook

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 02:37:48 PM »
      I forgot to metion... The whole gay slideshow and movie and renaming of c and d drive and resetting of the ie homepage and banner has happened twice more since the first time.  There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 02:40:54 PM »
      download this a run it if you can>http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/  and i would point out that your wiffy connection should be encrypted as its open to other wiffy users?

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 02:41:21 PM »
      Scan for spyware, trojans and viruses.

billiusthemook

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 02:48:48 PM »
      dl65 has been helping me with this in another topic.

I downloaded the stinger program and it found nothing, downloaded hijackthis, dl65 looked at it, I trashed what he told me to, and most of the settings of the virus I have were reverted.  But the virus has come back twice, and is (I guess) prohibiting me from accessing symantec, downloading avg, and downloading and microsoft updates.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 02:51:42 PM »
      Use a real virus scanner.

billiusthemook

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 02:59:02 PM »
      I also searched with ad-aware, spydoctor, and spybot.

What anti-virus program do you suggest?

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 03:00:03 PM »
      type ping in the msdos/cmd prompt....like c:\windows ping www.bbc.co.uk   it will tell you of how many packets are lost? virus scanner>http://housecall.trendmicro.com/   info>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
      « Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 03:08:10 PM by merlin_2 »

2k dummy

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 03:13:46 PM »
      when it was connected directly to the router, it reported a speed of 100 Mbps.

connection is reported as 1Mbps, 5.5Mbps, and 11Mbps

None of these speeds has anything at all to do with the internet. They all represent the speed between your computer and the router. The internet speed is something entirely different.
      Place the router in as high a location as possible. If your computer is on the floor, under a desk, in a cubby hole, etc. take it to the top of desk. There are many factors that can affect the wireless connection, even the furniture in a room. It is not generally a problem if the antennas are located so there is no obstruction to block the signal. Any kind of metal construction or concrete wall will have an adverse affect, as can florescent lights, wireless phones, and microwave ovens. In a normal frame construction house you have problem if you follow my suggestion above. The fact that your connection drops to 1 meg indicates to me that you have a serious problem between the computer and the router. I use my wireless outdoors in the garden, in the gazebo, or in any room in the house and never get speeds lower than 5.5 megs.

2k dummy

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 03:26:57 PM »
      In a normal frame construction house you have problem if you follow my suggestion above.

That line should read - you will not have a problem. ;D

merlin_2

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 03:59:57 PM »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 04:20:27 PM »
        billiusthemook....I'm sorry to see that you havent had any luck.....however .....you did have a hijacker ......which by your own words was fixed......AND you were asked to provide the name of the virus which stinger found ......you never gave us that answer or if whatever it was had been successfully removed. Because of the number of trojans and other malicous items which your log showed up Im not surprised that you still have viruses .....Perhaps what you should do is format your hard drives ....reload your O/S .......Go use another pc and D/l ...AVG ...... or you could go out and purchase whatever Anti virus program you like , then install it and now follow the suggestions that a lot of people here have been trying to offer you .

let us know how you make out .

billiusthemook

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2004, 05:35:55 PM »
        I appreciate the info by 2k dummy.  Is there any kind of relay device that will help me avoid those wireless phones and flourescent lights? (my current pc's location is unchangeable unfortunately)

And thank you to merlin 2 for that trend micro virus searcher... It has found over 604 infected files that none of the other applications found, and of those there are about three different types of trojans and worms... or whatever.  It is still searching and finding new ones as I type, so I'll wait for a later post to list what it found and if it was successful in removal.

dl65... thank you very much for helping me through all this.  Before I go ahead with that formatting though I'm going to wait till I try out this program merlin suggested, then I'll try to download avg and then sp2.  

I appreciate all this help very much.  I'll post again once I've tries all that out.

2k dummy

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2004, 06:46:34 PM »
        Is there any kind of relay device that will help me avoid those wireless phones and flourescent lights? (my current pc's location is unchangeable unfortunately)

You can't avoid them but you can probably overcome them. One option is to get a WAP (wireless access point) that can act as a relay. Another option is to use high gain directional antennas. Or you can use a combination of both.

billiusthemook

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2004, 07:18:17 PM »
        thanks 2k dummy I'll try that out.

Ok... I finished the scan with trend micro and it found about 800 or so items of about 4 different virus types.  They were all deleted.  Once I (finally successfully) downloaded the avg program, I opened the installer and right away the gay virus appeared again.  I updated avg and ran it's virus scan, and it came up with a number of items, and I assume it fixed them because avg didn't allow me to do anything to them.  I then downloaded Service Pack 2, and upon restarting it asked me if I wanted to start in safe or normal mode, and I figured that if I try to virus scan in safe mode maybe it'll get something previously missed.  So I ran avg, it found some things, and again I guess it took care of them because when I selected them and tried to delete them nothing happened. So then I restarted my computer and tried to start in normal mode, but upon loading windows there was a quick flash of blue screen with white letters on it which I couldn't read.

Now I can't start windows unless I'm in safe mode.

I think I did something terribly wrong.

Please tell me what I did and how I might fix it.

{{I'm continuing in this topic because it's a continuous series of events mostly hardware and virus involved.  Tell me if I should start a new topic somewhere else.