Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dissappeared info on Ex. HD  (Read 2016 times)

confused11

Dissappeared info on Ex. HD
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:50:06 AM »
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I had some files transfered from my friends external to my external. There were no apparent problems in doing that. However, we never really opened my hard drive to see if the files were showing up or not.

When I tried to use my external hard drive on my laptop, and other computer running Win xP, the information is not there. The information that was there before the transfer is visible but the information transfered is not.

However, when I check the disk space, I have 11gig free, when I select folders that are visible and check their size it say 16 gigs. My hard drive is 40gig(actually 37gigs).

So the one complication is dissappearanc of almost 10gig, which I am sure is the info I transfered, but I can't see it. Another complication is that I can't transfer anything else to the hard drive anymore.

I wanted to know how I could fix this meaning without having to reformat in NTFS format, or what could be a cause of this problem.

I have never had such a problem with the hard drive before.

Thanks.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dissappeared info on Ex. HD
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:36:01 PM »
    "However, we never really opened my hard drive to see if the files were showing up or not."  I always check to see if the data transferred has really been transferred.  I first copy, then if the copy is good then I move, if necessary.

Try reconnecting to your friends computer and verify that  the files are on your external drive. 

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!