Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Desktop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300  (Read 3740 times)

Perfect Agent52

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Give them nothing, but take from them everything
    Hey guys, I haven't been on in a while, but I am still looking for a new desktop. I have found the computer in the subject heading, and was curious if I could put a 7800 GT card and see if the power supply will still be good. I am playing BF 2142 and was gonna get another gig of RAM. Just want your feedback.

It has PCI-E and looks good to buy, but I think I need GX1_Man or one of the other Moderators opinions before I go buy it.
    HP Pavilion A6010n
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.80 ghz
    XFX Nvidia 7600gt PCI-E graphics card
    2 GB Kingston DDR2 SDRAM PC4200
    Antec 500W PSU

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
      please check the actual model number  this one is an

HP Workstation Model xw4400   
      which is a
      - Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86 GHz

motherboard graphics slots:-

* Slot provided
          * 1 (0 free) Processor, 1 (0 free)
             PCI Express x16, 1 (1 free)
             PCI Express x16, 4 (2 free)
             Memory DIMM 240-pin,
            1 (1 free) PCI Express x1, 3 (3 free) PCI Full-length, full-height

so the card should fit

a full spec listing can be found here  http://cnet.boston.com/HP_Workstation_xw4400_Core_2_Duo_E6300_1_86_GHz/4014-3118_9-32010624.html

Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

GX1_Man

You are wise to be concerned about the power supply. Can you find out the wattage for it and what that video card requires? Is it some sort of proprietary in shape or size power supply?

Perfect Agent52

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        The power supply for the HP is 120 volts and I couldn't find a voltage for the card, but I am still looking. I thought to give you the voltage for the HP. Plus, I doubt the card is going to get even half that in voltage. Also, should I change out the fan or just get another one to keep it cool?

I also plan to get a sound blaster card, another gig of ram, and probably a widescreen acer monitor, just for reference to whether I should get this desktop or not.
        HP Pavilion A6010n
        Antec 500W PSU

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        The Wattage rating of the power supply is what you need to know.  If you're in the U.S., 120 volts is standard; it does not vary.

Perfect Agent52

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          I moved to a new desktop that still has Core Duo 2, but the System Bus isn't as fast. It is the Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Desktop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4300, I will search for the power supply, but this seems like a better buy.

HP Pavilion A6010n
          Antec 500W PSU

GX1_Man

Don't purchase until you find out about the power supply AND if you can add a different one when you find that one too small. Some manufacturers have proprietary sizes and/or connectors.

Perfect Agent52

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            I would think a 7600 GT PCI-E would fit fine in there, other than that I don't think I would have a problem with size because that card isn't all that big, it is XFX just so you know.

The power supply is a must though. Thanks for the help GX1 and soybean, I wasn't really sure on whether to worry about the power supply or not, but now I know. Thanks
            HP Pavilion A6010n
            Antec 500W PSU

Raptor

I need GX1_Man or one of the other Moderators opinions

lol....

Perfect Agent52

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              You know what I meant, I am at school, and I am tired.
              HP Pavilion A6010n
              Antec 500W PSU

Raptor

I'd get a Zalman PSU > 400 Watt, owned two so far, good quality and very silent. But then again, I'm not a moderator.. Do play BF, though.. If that means anything.  :)

Perfect Agent52

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                Well, than I don't want your opinion  ;). Thanks for the info, I still can't find the wattage on this HP, it's like the internet doesn't like me today and wants to make my life difficult.

The only reason is that I am tight on funds, and wanted to only change this that I really needed to change. I have never owned an HP, so I am unsure about the PSU. But, I think a new PSU is a little more important than a new sound card.
                HP Pavilion A6010n
                Antec 500W PSU

GX1_Man

The size I was referring to was the physical dimensions of the PSU, not the video card.

Perfect Agent52

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                  Ohhhhhhh....... I thought you meant the video card. Sorry. I will go look that up once I get the rest of this website done for my class.
                  HP Pavilion A6010n
                  Antec 500W PSU