Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Access in Win2K Pro  (Read 3118 times)

Kevin Walker

Internet Access in Win2K Pro
« on: October 20, 2004, 02:46:06 AM »
Please help...I want to restrict a user's access to the Internet. What Service is it that I need to disable if I am using a USB Modem in Windows 2000 Pro. Is this the best way to achieve this, what other users are likely to be affected??

Yes, you guessed it, frustration with an offspring!!! >:(

mektek

Hopeful
  • Witty comment to be advised
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Internet Access in Win2K Pro
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 05:25:04 AM »
    The best way is probably via your Internet Service Provider. You will have a logon name and password - change the password and don't give it to those you don't want to have access.

If you have set up accounts for each of the users, you can use the master account to disable any of the others.
    Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
    A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

2k dummy

Re: Internet Access in Win2K Pro
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 08:45:41 AM »
    Want more control over your children's user accounts in XP? How about the days of the week and time of day they are allowed to logon? Should work in 2K and NT also.

Follow these steps:

1. Run the CMD command from the Run menu.

2. Type in
    net user xxxxxx

(where xxxxxx is the username you want to edit)

The command displays the user's properties, all of them, not just the ones MS wants you to see. For instance, you can see when was his or her last logon, when he or she have changed their password etc.

3. Type in
    net user xxxxxx /times:s-f,8-19

(where xxxxxx is the username you want to edit, the s-f means Sunday to Friday and 8-19 means the hours of the day when you want the user to be able to log-on)

Type in
    net user xxxxxx /times:all

to get the user logon hours back to default.

You can set specific times for specific days.