Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2002 won't choose an e-mail account  (Read 2650 times)

smilejack1

Outlook 2002 won't choose an e-mail account
« on: April 20, 2007, 12:22:07 PM »
My boss barely knows how to right-click, so I'm the default IT person here, even though I don't know all that much more.  So please forgive me if I appear dim-witted.  I assure you it's genuine.

Every now and then when he tries to send an e-mail from Outlook 2002 (on a machine running XP Pro w/ SP2), the e-mail gets stuck in his Outbox and won't send.  No error message appears.  This morning I was fiddling with it, and noticed that when I opened his Outbox, the "e-mail account" field for that message was empty.  I clicked "accounts" and chose one, and the message flew of towards its destination, none the worse for wear..

I'm guessing that this has been the problem every time (although I don't know that - in the past we've had to delete the message and start over, and even sometimes reboot, if memory serves).  Sometimes we've even cussed at, with no visible result.   Any insight, or even a fix?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Outlook 2002 won't choose an e-mail account
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 01:46:51 PM »
Looking at Outlook 2003 here.  "e-mail account" is not a field that appears when a message in Outbox is selected. Your version is probably the same.  Where, exactly, do you think the "e-mail account" field is supposed to appear?  Can you post a screen print, with this element circled?

If you go to Tools, E-Mail Accounts, select View or change existing e-mail accounts, and click Next, is one e-mail account marked as default?  Do you have more than one e-mail account set up in Outlook?