Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need HTML help for TINY problem!!  (Read 7966 times)

laura127

Need HTML help for TINY problem!!
« on: October 20, 2004, 05:17:22 AM »
I'm NEW to HTML & I wanna do something SO simple but it's not working so does anybody wanna look at my code & see what i'm doing wrong??

Basically, i'm putting a one line sentence in a marquee but the marquee is going too fast for my liking. I've tried to slow it down but its not slowing down for me!!

Here's the code i'm using

<MARQUEE BEHAVIOR="scroll" DIRECTION ="left" SCROLL AMOUNT="1" bgcolor="#FFFF00"><font color="#000066" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><strong>TESTING One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve!</strong></font></MARQUEE></font>

Joleen

Re: Need HTML help for TINY problem!!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 05:56:29 AM »
Hmm I didn't even know there was a marquee tag.  I'd use JavaScript (there are many free examples of code).  In any case, have you tried a SPEED=X?

laura127

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 08:04:33 AM »
I managed to sort it, found a website with tutorials that showed me how to do it differently to what i'd seen on other sites! I put scrolldelay="500" and that slowed it way down.

I'm only just getting to know HTML so i don't even wanna look at javascript yet, it looks so hard! Thanks Joleen

Corrosive

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 02:14:39 PM »
Joleen, the marquee tag was a valid HTML tag. It has been depreciated from the W3C spec's since version 4.01, I believe. It's just down to the browser programmers to decide whether or not they still wish to support it.

Laura, Javascript isn't all that hard really. Evil/annoying at times (mouse trails/pop-ups, for example), but not hard. Generally, I just copy and paste code from various sources, editing them if needed - I don't think I've ever created a Javascript completely from scratch but hey, professional programmers rarely do either...

But I digress. If you are interested, Webmonkey have a neat tutorial on how to, ahem, "borrow" Javascript from other sites and edit them as necessary.

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/99/30/index1a.html?tw=programming

Check out the rest of Webmonkey too: I partly learned HTML from it. ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 02:20:48 PM by Corrosive »

laura127

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 02:23:18 AM »
Thanks Corrosive, i might just take a look at it & take up javascript as a hobbie  ;D

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 12:18:22 PM »
According to MS FrontPage, other HTML commands are scrollamount="xx" and scrolldelay="xx".

It works, I tried it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 12:19:00 PM by Computer_Commando »

laura127

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 04:41:52 AM »
According to MS FrontPage, other HTML commands are scrollamount="xx" and scrolldelay="xx".

It works, I tried it.

I tried the scroll amount first Computer_Commando but my text wasn't slowing down!! Could it have been beacuse i had a space between the words "scroll" and "amount"?? I used scroll delay in the end anyhow & the problem has been sorted. Thanks  ;D

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 06:03:54 PM »
...Could it have been beacuse i had a space between the words "scroll" and "amount"?? ...

No space and it will work.

laura127

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 04:28:04 AM »
Ok cool, thanks! Now i'll know for the next time  ;)

shield

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 09:47:33 PM »
acually to be honest with you... java script, java, CSS etc.. is alot easier than HTML... HTML is more "From scratch" type of coding... i started that about 13 years ago... now i do all my sites in Flash/java/html(very little) and it shows: www.faded.biz for example.... most of it was done in flash, but the more you do it the more it comes to you... it's like riding a bike  ;)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 01:17:11 AM »
    ......"it's like riding a bike"  .........
    you mean when you fall off you get skinned knees......lol

dl65  ::)  
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.