Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copy files in order by size  (Read 3241 times)

W Fischer

Copy files in order by size
« on: October 20, 2004, 08:34:35 AM »
Hello!

I'm using the dos FOR command to copy some files from one directory to another. This files are being copied by directory order, but I'd like to copy the files in order by size or in order by name...

I've tried to use dircmd=/os variable, but it doesn't work.

Anyone knows how to do it?

Thanks,

W Fischer

scruge

Re: Copy files in order by size
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 08:03:05 PM »
you might try sorting the files before you copy.. some of the old norton utilities could sort a directory by file, type ,size, attribute.

franksimari

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 11:49:52 AM »
i daily use a file i got once in a magazine called pc computing, called  'dirmagic.com'

it is extremely small but can do  many not so simple things.

i sort my directories by size or extension or date after i create a directory to store the sorted files.

then i either highlight specific ones or the whole direction and copy those files to the new directory.

the author of the file   Michael J. Medford.

thank you , Michael for the hundreds of hours of joy you have afforded me.

i do not know what the rules are for sending this file. i cannot find a reference to it on the internet,; was freeware and if some knowledgeable person can tell me about the legalities, i would be happy to send it out. the file was written in 1988

MalikTous

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 03:27:37 PM »
I have a similar thing called PFM (Personal File Manager) and an accompanying text edittor called E88 that I have been using as DOS add-ons since the mid-80s. There are probably later versions out, but these are minuscule EXEs and were nice because they fit easily on a floppy. They have been serving reasonably well into Win9x...