Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Putting AGP graphics cards in computers  (Read 4217 times)

thegigabite

Putting AGP graphics cards in computers
« on: October 20, 2004, 11:39:18 AM »
I just ordered a slew of GEForce4 MX440 video cards for my Dell computers.  They are GX110 desktops w/256MB RAM using XP Pro.

The original graphics utility is integrated in the motherboard.  The new graphics cards use AGP....will these just go into my PCI slot?  Thanks for the help guys :)

Computer_Commando

Re: Putting AGP graphics cards in computers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 11:42:15 AM »
No.  AGP is not PCI.

thegigabite

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 11:47:02 AM »
So am I not going to be able to put these video cards anywhere in these PC's?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 12:42:54 PM »
Not unless you have an AGP slot.

I don't understand why you'd order such an expensive card for a computer that doesn't even have an AGP slot yet....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 12:44:20 PM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 12:59:08 PM »
So am I not going to be able to put these video cards anywhere in these PC's?

No.  Did you open one up and look inside?  AGP slots are clearly visible.  Did you know that you can look up the specs on any Dell computer by entering the Service Tag Number on Dell's support website?  You can also find it by model number.  

Your GX110 has no AGP slot.  It has onboard video.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx110/en/ug/specs.htm#graphics_and_video
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 01:00:42 PM by Computer_Commando »

thegigabite

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 12:32:26 PM »
Not unless you have an AGP slot.

I don't understand why you'd order such an expensive card for a computer that doesn't even have an AGP slot yet....

The cards were $30/ea....I don't define that as expensive.  The PC's have PCI's, and I have since had the shipper change my order to the SAME video cards, with a PCI Interface...thanks

These are used in a commercial environment, in an Internet Cafe, they are not for personal use.  All they need to do, is go online, and play PC games with occasionally.

thegigabite

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 12:35:05 PM »

No.  Did you open one up and look inside?  AGP slots are clearly visible.  Did you know that you can look up the specs on any Dell computer by entering the Service Tag Number on Dell's support website?  You can also find it by model number.  

Your GX110 has no AGP slot.  It has onboard video.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx110/en/ug/specs.htm#graphics_and_video

Yes, I looked inside.  Sorry, I wasn't aware that an APG slotwas common knowledge.  I am no computer guru, I know basic operation functions, and how to diagnose some problems.  I am a business owner.  I am learning more about PC's by taking expanded classes at my local IT facility.  Just FYI, when I purchased the video cards, I forgot to see what interface they were, then AFTER they were shipped, I opened the PC's, and saw PCI boards, went back to the seller, and he said they were AGP's.....but all is fixed.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 12:36:14 PM »
All they need to do, is go online, and play PC games with occasionally.

PCI is not nearly as fast as AGP.

Here are a few articles that may be of use:

AGP

How Stuff Works - How AGP Works

thegigabite

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 12:37:53 PM »

PCI is not nearly as fast as AGP.

Here are a few articles that may be of use:

AGP

How Stuff Works - How AGP Works

Thanks for your help thus far Raptor  :D

Computer_Commando

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 12:43:59 PM »
...The PC's have PCI's, and I have since had the shipper change my order to the SAME video cards, with a PCI Interface...

STOP  The PCI cards may not work, either.  I have a Dell OptiPlex GXa, not the same, but similar.  The OptiPlex's were designed for corporations and businesses.  Many are sold at surplus.  Video, audio, ethernet are all on-board.  I am not sure if the onboard video can be turned off.  Windows supports dual monitors, but the 2nd monitor won't turn on until Windows boots.  Why not just use the onboard video?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 12:51:30 PM by Computer_Commando »