Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Access Form edits not changing existing queries  (Read 2775 times)

snowsl00

MS Access Form edits not changing existing queries
« on: April 23, 2007, 06:29:54 AM »
I am using Access 2003 for a simple contacts database and am new to using it and no nothing about coding.  All contact information has been entered into the database table and I have created a "Form" to make viewing and editing easier. But, when I update the "Form", it does not update any queries I have created.  Can anyone help?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: MS Access Form edits not changing existing queries
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:55:54 AM »
Forms are generally used as an input screen.  So, I'm not sure why you would say a Form makes viewing easier.  I would think you'd "view" your records by opening a table or using a Report or Query.

Do you use your Form as an input screen to enter new records?  Have you verified that records entered in your Form appear in the applicable table?

snowsl00

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:08:05 AM »
Hi!  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Yes, I use the Form for inputing new records and for updating existing records.  The Records that are created on the Forms do appear on the tables but changes to the forms do not show up on the queries.

Thanks for your help!

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 07:22:32 AM »
Do you have a Query open while entering records into your Form?  If so, close it and then re-open it.  Does that update it? 

snowsl00

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:40:48 AM »
The Query is closed.  I have even shut down the program and reopened it, but to no avail.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 08:16:27 AM »
Is your query displaying any records at all?  How long since the query has shown any change?

snowsl00

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 08:32:44 AM »
The query shows the original records from when the query was created, but doesn't show updates.

bdb04

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 09:31:29 AM »
If I am understanding your post correctly, your form is not bound to the query, it is bound to the table itself.  Any changes you make to the design of the form will not cascade down to the query. 

Open the query in design view and make the changes you want there.  If you want the changes to then appear on the form, you would either need to change the form as well, or create a new form that is bound to the query.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 08:52:01 AM »
snowsl00, where do you stand now?  Any change yet?  If not, I suggest deleting your query and re-creating it.  If it still does not update, that would make me think there may be some fallacy in the procedure you're using to create the query. 

You might create a little test database and practice creating queries and see whether your query updates.  Here's a good tutorial: Creating Queries in Access