Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Images in MS Word missing  (Read 2904 times)

lsoul

Images in MS Word missing
« on: April 23, 2007, 11:54:26 AM »
I have a problem where all images embedded in the body of word documents are now showing as empty "boxes" (any image integral to the headers/footers are OK). Many of these have had pdf files made from them so the images were previously functional. If one double clicks on the image "box" to edit it, the picture becomes visible. Close the image editor and you are back to an empty box. I always thought the images are integral to the documents in word and Excel, for example, but this appears to indicate they are links to image files stored somewhere - like a temp directory?

Help!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Images in MS Word missing
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:41:06 PM »
Images from where, clip art, a file, ...?  If a file, where is the file? 

If you try this with a new document, do you have the same problem, or this happening only with certain existing Word files?

lsoul

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 06:32:09 PM »
this is only happening with existing files and the images were various - some from photographs, some from graphics programs made into jpegs (like logos for example)

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 07:23:05 PM »
Looking at Word 2003 here.  Take a look in Tools, Options, View.  In the Show section, do you see "Picture placeholders"?  Is the box checked?  If so, remove the check and click OK.  Did that solve the problem?

lsoul

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 08:19:21 PM »
Soybean - many thanks for the suggestion but I checked and the box is unchecked. Any other thoughts?

lsoul

Re: Images in MS Word/Outlook missing
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 11:34:53 AM »
I just came to realize the same thing has happened to e-mails in outlook that had images contained in the body of the message (logo, product scope image listing). I don't know whether that helps in the troubleshooting?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 12:22:15 PM »
You probably have Word set as the email editor for Outlook.  Do you?

I think you need to create a new Normal.dot template and see whether that solves the problem.  See http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,34556.0.html and follow the instructions there for renaming your existing Normal.dot file.  Word then creates a new one the next time it is launched. 

lsoul

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »
Yes, I do have Word set as the e-mail editor. I will read your referenced document and try making a new template and advise of the outcome. Many thanks Soybean.

lsoul

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 02:25:01 PM »
Soybean - did you provide the wrong link? The doc is Dell BIOS Help??

soybean

Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 02:57:42 PM »