Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: adding hardisk problem....  (Read 3974 times)

anton

adding hardisk problem....
« on: October 20, 2004, 12:17:28 PM »
Hi i just added a new hardisk on my computer i connected all the connections corectly but when i turned on the computer it wud not detect but when i check to the device manager i can see that the hadisk is present.. cn any help me how to fix... is my hardisk broken???

merlin_2

Re: adding hardisk problem....
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 12:50:37 PM »
is this  a second hard disk...

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 01:00:30 PM »

Activate the Hard Disk in Disk manager. (Right click on My Computer - Manage - Disk Management)

anton578

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 01:04:22 PM »
yup its the second hardisk.... the 1st one is 4 the OS and the jumper setting is set to MASTER while the 2nd hardisk that did not detect is set to SLAVE... but i can see that it is present when u view the device manager... but i cannot view or open this drive....

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 01:05:22 PM »
*points up*

Jack the lad

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 02:17:52 PM »
anton......I'm having a slightly differant trubble .....I gots win98 .....and I got the drive inthere ok ....but when I go to drive h ( thats what is calld it it ) shuts down my pc .....and it restrts ....can anyone help me

8)  8)

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 02:30:19 PM »
what partioning software did you use...whats the make of the hard drive and size..run scandisk on it...you may have a bad block/sector..

Jack the lad

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 02:44:25 PM »
Hey man thanks for the reply .i would get back sooner but had to take apart the puter to get the hard drive name it a quantum  fireball ST or somethin but its nmade in japan sothats good .
whats a partitioning software ....dont think i knw that.
can I look it up in google?  
wait thes more numbers on this thingy ......says ST serries 3.5 themwhole bunch of little teeny number
Can google fix the bad block sector, i have that.

thanks for the help so far.

8) 8)

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 03:31:39 PM »
if this hard-drive is less than a year old send it back to maxtor...i have had  afew of them go wrong myself..download powermax diagnostics...>http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm